Toshiba Laptop - Overlay Problem

Whaty 15:07 02 Jan 2007

Happy New Year.!

My brother has a Toshiba A60 laptop, just before xmas it developed a problem and was crashing on a regular basis, I got round this by disabling the ATI adaptor.

Everything seemed okay until yesterday when he tried to play a DVD, he now gets a message refering to an 'Overlay' issue and suggesting he reduces the resolution and/or the colours, he's tried both of these without success.

I'm hopefully going to get chance to have a look at this for him tonight but wondered if anyone could give me some pointers. Is it likely to be as a result of disabling the ATI adapter? If so, can I get around the problem, that is, should he still be able to play DVD's using the WinXP drivers?

Thanks for any help..

Terry

Diodorus Siculus 15:33 02 Jan 2007

What program does he use to play dvds?

InterDVD suggests an upgrade of the graphics drivers:

Download and install all drivers related to WinDVD, AGP, and your graphics or video card. After all drivers and software have been updated, test again to see if the error still occurs.
If the driver updates do not resolve the error message, then change the screen resolution to a different setting. To do this, follow the procedures below.

Right-click any open area on the Windows desktop and select Properties.
Click the Settings tab.
Change the color setting to 32-bit, the Screen area to 1024 x 768, and then click OK.

Google the exact error message in quotation marks and see what you can find.

Whaty 16:58 02 Jan 2007

Diodorus Siculus, thanks for your reply.

I think it is InterDVD? It's worth checking for the latest drivers...

As for the screen resolution he's done this, I talked him through several settings on the phone yesterday...

I'll hopefully have a look at the machine myself tonight, at least that way I'll have a better idea what's actually happening. I've never come across an 'Overlay' problem before...

Terry

Diodorus Siculus 17:51 02 Jan 2007

I had it once with InterDVD running on Wine on Suse Linux but gave it up for VLC:

click here

a superiour, free opiton.

Whaty 09:12 03 Jan 2007

Diodorus Siculus, thanks again for your reply.

It's sorted..

They were trying to watch an home made wedding video. Installed the latest ATI drivers and used WMP (actually removed InterDVD) and it played fine....

I left them to watch 3hrs (THREE HOURS..!) of wedding video..

Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?