Toshiba laptop CD writing problem

guesswho2 17:43 02 Sep 2006

My daughter has just bought a new Satellite L100 which has a CD/DVD writer.
It came with XP Home edition installed but we can't get it to write to CD. The Task Panel does not show a "Copy to CD" note.
I thought that XP included CD writing capability. We're very unhappy! What's the matter?

VoG II 17:47 02 Sep 2006

Does click here help?

palinka 17:53 02 Sep 2006

XP does include CD writing capability - But you access it as you do any other storage device (eg. as you would a floppy disk; or My Documents). So the process is a bit diferent fom earlier OSs.
Test it out like this: open a document; click File>Save As. Give it a name in "File Name" then go to "Save In" & click the down arrow at the end of that box - the list of possible places to save includes "CD-driveE" (yours may be a different letter of the alphabet)Select that and follow the next steps as indicated on-screen.

guesswho2 20:51 02 Sep 2006

Thanks VoG and palinka.
I eventually solved the problem!
I found RecordNow hidden away under Sonic in Explorer. Not at all obvious.
The trouble was that Toshiba had disabled the Windows "Copy to CD" facility and when I tried to use the general "Copy this file" menu, it just wouldn't work.
Anyhow, now I've put RecordNow on the Start menu so we're OK.

rick90 22:56 02 Sep 2006

try that on my tosh,cheers .

Taff™ 08:26 04 Sep 2006

Toshiba laptops have a acility to create DVD-RAM discs. "

You must logically format a DVD-RAM disc before writing files on the disc. Once you have logically formatted a DVD-RAM disc, it can be used to write files just as you would do with a
floppy disk or hard disk."

This is more advanced than the built in XP function which is disabled. Look on your computer for the DVD-RAM folder under Start>All Programs and view the PDF "Using DVD RAM Disc"

It basically means that once you have formatted a suitable DVD disc you can drag and drop files to it as if it were another hard disk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?