Toshiba laptop £599, your views.

Bald Eagle 11:52 27 Dec 2004

Any advice on this package? Just been to PCW at York looking at laptops, contrary to a lot I have read about them there was no pressure to buy. I told the assistant that I wanted one for basic Word Processing and Internet access. I was immdeiately taken from the £1,000 models to this Toshiba.

Intel Celeron 335 2.8 GHz

256 Mb RAM

DVD re writer

15" screen

40 GB Hard disc

3 USB ports

Modem

No separate graphics or sound card

£599, any comments or sites on line offering similar spec?

Ray

Forum Editor 11:59 27 Dec 2004

this computer would be fine - nothing wrong with it at all. If I was to make one comment it would be that I would upgrade the RAM to 512Mb, but even that isn't essential. Does it have a LAN port by the way?

spuds 12:03 27 Dec 2004

Here is a website about laptops,might be worth a browse, perhaps the above spec model is reviewed!. click here

bremner 12:04 27 Dec 2004

Toshiba make good laptops.

As an alternative have a look at this Acer click here

Bald Eagle 13:19 27 Dec 2004

FE as far as I'm aware there is no LAN port but as it will be the only computer in the house I don't think that's a problem. It is aimed purely at personal use ie banking and ferry booking etc on the internet and a monthly report for a magazine. If PCW will upgrade the RAM what sort of price would be considered reasonable for buying and fitting?

Ray

BlueMeanie 16:35 27 Dec 2004

I have owned 4 Toshiba Laptop PC's - excellent build quality. The present one is taken to work daily, so has to be robust and reliable. Don't know anything about the model you have selected, but looks OK

Modo 17:38 27 Dec 2004

Tosh's realy need at least 512 to run all the very useful Tosh proprietary backgrond stuff and the complex touch pad.

But don't fall for buying 256Mb. It will fill both slots and mean that you will have to buy a 512 to replace a 256 if you want to upgrade further.

If you buy it go to "Crucial" or similar and buy a 512. It will cost you £20 more than a 256 and it'll probably be cheaper than buying 256 from PCW - certainly cheaper if they charge to fit. It will take you two minutes to fit it yourself - it makes Lego look difficult!

Pidder 19:31 27 Dec 2004

Is it really that easy to upgrade the memory of a Laptop?

Graham ® 19:41 27 Dec 2004

Is this it? click here

interzone55 19:47 27 Dec 2004

Most laptops have a little screwdown flap underneath for access to memory slots.
When upgrading laptop memory remember that the vast majority of laptops use SODIMMS rather than standard DIMMS and they're a lot more picky about the types of RAM fitted, it's definately worth checking with Crucial.

As for this model, I was looking at it this morning in Curry's, it looks pretty sturdy, the keyboard is more than adequate and the screen is nice & bright, it seems like quite a bargain.

deep-joy 19:48 27 Dec 2004

I went for a Toshiba laptop in PC World sale last Easter - similar spec to the one you give. DVD drive is only -R(RW) - however its a good laptop, good screen. Modo is right, you WILL need to get more RAM and 512 upgrade as suggested above is a good buy. Only down side mine came with MS Works - horrible! Now use Open office

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone