Toshiba laptop

the hick 20:42 21 Apr 2010

Daughter needs laptop to replace old desktop. I see my local Tesco have a number of Toshiba's in at present, including L500 1XC, £429. In PCA review, Tosh were rated reliable. For general useage - no games or movie-editing - I thought this could be a good choice. Anyone have any views please?

northumbria61 21:14 21 Apr 2010

This is an excellent spec. and at that price you can't really go wrong. £429 appears to be the lowest price (having looked at several sites) and it gets good reviews. If you have a Tesco clubcard you will get yourself 500 extra points. If I needed one I wouldn't hesitate.

Joe G 21:31 21 Apr 2010

We have 2 Toshibas - one 18 months old - one 6 months - so far so good though I am tempting fate!

the hick 10:26 27 Apr 2010

Just bought this laptop after couple of days deliberation! Still in box. Am I right in thinking that it is advisable to remove much of the installed software which is not really needed? For example, I want to uninstall McAfee, and use Avast or AVG. Office 2007 will work for 30 days - is it OK to just leave it after that, or will it need un-installing? Any advice appreciated, thank you.

Ventad 11:27 27 Apr 2010

We purchased a Toshiba L500 three weeks ago, got rid of McAffee and put Microsoft Security Essentials on. Not sure but I think after the 90 days MS Office becomes read only but somebody will drop in the info.

onthelimit 11:30 27 Apr 2010

For removing pre-loaded junk click here.

northumbria61 14:57 27 Apr 2010

If you want to make sure that McAfee is completely uninstalled follow these instructions from the McAfee support site.

click here

If you are NEVER going to use MS Office then remove it via Control Panel.

northumbria61 15:03 27 Apr 2010

I should have added that if you want/need MS Office you could obtain MS Office Enterprise 2007 which contains 10 programs from Software4Students.co.uk for a very good discounted price - Excellent value.

Do you Qualify -

1. All School, College and University students and their family members are eligible!

click here

northumbria61 15:06 27 Apr 2010

FURTHER - Users are allowed to purchase ONE version of this Office product for each eligible student.

Windows 7 (32 & 64 bit), Vista and XP Compatible.

Available to purchase as a download or as a DVD mailer

INSTALLATION ON 2 PC's

the hick 06:15 28 Apr 2010

Got started on this laptop now, made the back-up discs for Windows 7 64-bit. What is the difference between Windows 32 and 64 bit? Will it be OK to use 32-bit, this will mean loading it from the disc supplied. Any views please?

northumbria61 08:12 28 Apr 2010

I would go for 64 bit - that is the way forward. You shouldn't encounter any problems. Most 32 bit programs will run in 64 bit.

Read this - click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache