Toshiba Equium Power Supply Problems

PalaeoBill 20:08 15 Apr 2009

My neighbour has a Toshiba Equium laptop that is a little over 1 year old and has blown its original AC adaptor (PA3468E-1AC3) and within a week of my buying a replacement for her that too has blown.
The laptop was brought to me not charging and I quickly identified the AC adaptor as the culprit (The 3 amp fuse in the plug was fine but a volt meter across the jack showed zero volts). Her story was that it worked ok one day and then not the next. No fireworks.
The replacement worked fine for a good week and then blew in spectacular form, blue flash, heat (it was on her lap), scorching around the cable into the black box of the AC adaptor, 3 amp fuse in the plug blown and it took out the whole house electrics.
Sorry for the long preamble. Question: Could this be just a fluke or could something wrong in the laptop be causing the blown AC adaptors?
Do I order another replacement adaptor (the supplier has been good and given me a refund)?
Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:32 15 Apr 2009

Surprised its not taken the laptop with it, or has it?

I would not have expected an adaptor to go like that.

PalaeoBill 23:01 15 Apr 2009

It surprised me too, I've never heard of anything like it. I wasn't there but I have no reason to doubt my neighbour.
The laptop appears absolutely fine, it powers up into Vista and still has a good charge in the battery. I haven't bought a replacement AC adaptor yet and I only have Dell ones at home (polarity and voltage are wrong and the jack is too big anyway) so I can't try one to see if the laptop socket is ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone