Toshib Satellite CMOS battery replacement

MikeWhiteSW5 18:29 30 Jul 2010

I have a Toshiba Satellite L300D which has a CMOS battery that fails and shuts down the computer at regular intervals. I have no particular expertise on computer hardware. What is the best option for getting the CMOS battery replaced? I do not want to pay £200 or whatever it is to PC World. Mike White

woodchip 18:47 30 Jul 2010

If this is a Laptop, the battery may be under the memory in bottom of laptop under a plate with screws in it. If its a Desktop its easy just remove all power from the computer, not just switch off, remove power plug also. take side off PC so you can see the battery on the motherboard round about as big as a 1 pence and silver, make a note of witch way round it goes, after fitting new Battery restart PC go direct to BIOS Set Time and set to Defaults, then save and exit BIOS

Technotiger 18:53 30 Jul 2010

The L300D is a laptop, so it will certainly not be an easy DIY job - maybe possible to change CMOS battery (also known as RTC (Real Time Clock) battery, IF you can get a Service Manual for it, and are able to follow detailed instructions.

gaucho. 22:28 30 Jul 2010

will not shut down the computer at regular intervals. It just holds the power to checksum for the bios. If the computer has the power lead inserted and or the laptop battery attached. The CMOS battery is redundant.

It is more likely that the fans are clogged up and need cleaning. Make sure you are not overclocking the machine.

Technotiger 22:32 30 Jul 2010

gaucho has made a good valid point - shutting down at regular intervals is more likely to be due to over-heating.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone