Tosh XP Laptop Touch Pad

David4637 18:52 31 May 2005

When I move my finger on the touch pad particularly down the Right hand side it brings up a MS Switch Window - about (4"x4")which shows a number of the Desktop icons, such that you can click on one of them to boot up a new application.
This is annoying particularly when using Photoshop to trace around images. I have taken out the margins selection on the touch pad S/W so it should not occur, but it does. Any ideas as to how to switch this window off.Thanks David

howard60 20:48 31 May 2005

have you tried installing an ordinary mouse - this sometimes switches off the touchpad.

David4637 14:07 01 Jun 2005

Thanks for your suggestion Howard, but connecting up a mouse defeats the object of a laptop because you need a flat surface for the mouse to run on. Does any get this window to come up on their Tosh laptop? Any other ideas? Thanks David

jack 14:23 01 Jun 2005

I would imagine a Touchpad is a little 'crude' for fine work, as you have discovered with unwanted icon,etc.

If a regular mouse is not prectical or to your liking, think about a trackball or tablet to give fine control.

brambles 21:21 01 Jun 2005

Thanks David4637 I just couldn't understand what was going on when it occurred on my daughters Toshiba. We were using the mouse at the time but I think she caught the touchpad as well.

Brambles

Slithe 10:15 02 Jun 2005

Hi - I hope this can help you...

I have a TOSHIBA Laptop running XP also and I have the same problem when I touch any corner of my touch pad.

If I recall, this is something to do with pre-installed TOSHIBA software and can be turned off.

Look at the icons near the clock in the bottom right side of the Task-Tray, if you hover over each icon Windows will give you a description of what the icon is.

There is one, well it is on mine, that resembles a rectangle with the four corners illuminated. The text says something like TOSHIBA Touch Pad

I can't remember the exact wording... you'll know it when you see it. Don't actually have the laptop with me at present.

David4637 15:08 02 Jun 2005

Thanks for all your help. I eventually managed to select a button (its difficult to click on it, because it disappears quickly) on this Switch Window box to switch it off. As Slithe says I think its a Tosh S/W extra, in my case something I can do with out. Thanks fellows David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?