torrenting for the first time!

albal 14:56 27 Aug 2006

I have been told that i should use torrenting instead of using things like lime wire and ares,is this true and if so how do you do bit torrenting?any help would be much appreciated.

Diodorus Siculus 16:03 27 Aug 2006

What is it that you want to download? There are always lots of other options available...

rodriguez 19:23 27 Aug 2006

click here
click here
click here
to search for what you want to download. You can then download Torrent files ready to be used with a Torrent client such as BitLord.

click here for BitLord. Open the Torrent files with BitLord and it will download the content. This is much easier than trying to find things with P2P software such as Limewire as these programs are full of viruses and fakes.

terryf 01:52 28 Aug 2006

Try Azureus click here

ArrGee 09:23 28 Aug 2006

As a step-by-step guide...

1. Purely for this step-by-step guide, creat a folder on your desktop and call it something like 'My Torrents'

2. Download and run a torrent client (I use BitTornado click here)

3. Go to a torrent search site, such as the ones listed. I find TorrentSpy one of the best, but also I use TorrentyTyphoon, as this searches around 7-8 other torrent sites in one go click here. However, once again for this guide, let's stick with TorrentSpy.com

4. In the search area, type what you are looking for and click on 'Go' (For this example, and assuming that you are staying well within the law, search for a free program called 'DVD Shrink')

5. A list of available torrents will appear. On the right hand side there will be a 'health' indicator. Before the health indicator there is a S and a D column. This shows how many people are currently seeding this torrent and the number of downloads to date. The more seeders the better.

6. Click on the torrent name (in this case, DVD Shrink, the top one that appears) This will take you to a Download screen. Now click on 'Download Torrent', and an 'Open - Save' download box will appear. Click on save and save this to the folder on your desktop.

7. This download is pretty quick, but is not the full application. This is purely a bit-torrent tracker. Once downloaded, click on 'open'. A new window will appear asking you where to save the DVD Shrink application. Save it in the same folder.

8. Sit back and watch your torrent download. Once the blue bar turns green, your download is complete.

ArrGee 12:37 28 Aug 2006

In order to use a torrent file, you have to download it completely in order to use it.

When torrents are downloaded, they are not downloaded one file after the other. Small portions of each file are downloaded in parallel.

As an example, if you find a free (and legal) album you want, you can't just download half of it and expect to listen to the first half of the album. It has to be the complete album before you can listen to even just one track.

albal 16:39 28 Aug 2006

i just want to download films and music mostly for my self and kids.

sean-278262 20:55 28 Aug 2006

"As an example, if you find a free (and legal) album you want, you can't just download half of it and expect to listen to the first half of the album. It has to be the complete album before you can listen to even just one track."

Not totally true. You can use BT clients such as uTorrent which can download specific parts so you can get to listen to parts of an album easily before 100% has been downloaded.

ArrGee 22:18 28 Aug 2006

"Not totally true. You can use BT clients such as uTorrent which can download specific parts so you can get to listen to parts of an album easily before 100% has been downloaded."

Depends on the file type being downloaded. On most torrent sites, the file type will be a rar, iso, zip or avi. In these cases, it has to be 100%.

Tim1964 23:42 28 Aug 2006

<<<<<<<<Added to my postings>>>>>>>

rodriguez 00:00 29 Aug 2006

On BitLord you can tick each each individual track you want to download. So if you only tick a couple at a time, you can listen to them while you download the rest. Normally I just download the whole thing and forget about it until it finishes then I just listen to it afterwards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?