Torjan.Downloader.XS and how do I get rid of it??

Vla3d 05:50 19 Jul 2008

Hi, just cought this little thing called Torjan.Downloader.XS and do not know how to remove it, it desabled my Task Manager, slowing down my PC, keeps opening notifications of buying the anti-spware software and covered my desctop with a message that I need to buy their software with links. I tryed everything to remove it - System Restore, scanning with AVG (I don't have anything esle), it detected it, supposely removed it but its still there and it cant see it anymore...Please help, I'm running Wndows XP....

aca 07:13 19 Jul 2008

Vla3d

Have a look

click here

The ones you want to look at are the anti-spyware programmes. Listed in Skidsy's original post. They are free. Run scans. (I use super antispyware
and have spywareblaster also installed.)

You may find that the pest is hiding in system restore. So one option might be to turn this off. Scan the PC and then turn back on system restore.

By turning it off you will lose all your restore points. Please bear this in mind.

rawprawn 07:25 19 Jul 2008

click here
Scroll down for one solution

birdface 07:46 19 Jul 2008

click here that gets rid of most problems.

Vla3d 12:19 19 Jul 2008

ok, avg free seems to find it but failed to delet it because i think it modifies its name but...in system32 i could not find any executable programs that were modified, created or accesed yesterday...may i ask, if i termenated the right process in the task manager (i got that up alright), coud them viruses get deleted..? thanks a lot!

Vla3d 16:06 19 Jul 2008

up!

Sea Urchin 16:20 19 Jul 2008

No, terminating a process in task manager will not delete a virus - have you tried SuperAntiSpyware as suggested by buteman?

mfletch 16:27 19 Jul 2008

Download this free antimalware program,

click here

Next

Update it,

Delete all temp Internet files and cookies

Tools>Internet options>General>browsing history>delete

Then do a quick scan with Malwarebytes Antimalware,

mfletch

Vla3d 16:58 19 Jul 2008

well its slowing down my pc so much that it freezes every program that's tryna install, avg is performing a full scan and it's on its 15th hour of doing so, right, ok, in the detailed instruction i downloaded, it says go to windows/system32 and rename 2 exe files that are generated with random letters and that were modified on the day it hit the system, but i could not find them, the only files that were created, modified and accessed yesterday, were and are 1 text file and 1 .bak file, could this mean that the virus is gone and the slowing downs are caused by the endless AVG scan..? Thanks!

julas64 20:10 19 Jul 2008

Hi, just to let you know ive been reading about your problem, and having had the same prob myself, i followed Sea Urchins advice and downloaded SuperAntiSpyware. It Worked! it has completely deleted all the infected files, including the ones in system 32 and now my computer is working perfectly fine again! Thank god. I did run the scan 3 times to make sure it was completely clean, which it now appears to be. Try it yourself if you havent already. I hope it works for you too.

Sea Urchin 21:40 19 Jul 2008

And running it in safe mode would be even better - glad it fixed your problem julas64. And I agree that Vla3d should run it as well - it doesn't sound to me that you have necessarily got rid of the infection so far.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?