Too many username/password combinations

Kaz the Gas 22:48 25 Dec 2006

On my own use home computer, I have allowed windows to remember a number of username/password combinations, to such an extent that I have to scroll to get to some layer ones. Can I delete some selected ones? Is there a file in Windows which I could edit to remove some rarely used ones?

Kaz

Kaz the Gas 22:57 25 Dec 2006

Typing error - it should have said "I have to scroll to get to some later ones" not "layer ones"

Kaz

lotvic 00:17 26 Dec 2006

The function of allowing Windows to remember my passwords is called "Auto-complete." click here

this one with screenshots click here

beeuuem 00:38 26 Dec 2006

If you want to explore the registry click here

beeuuem 01:20 26 Dec 2006

Apologies that takes you to dead link.
In IE7 you can delete all the passwords in Tools > delete browsing history. BUT it is an all or nothing option - it will remove all the passwords nd you will have to re-enter those that you want to keep on the system.

beeuuem 01:21 26 Dec 2006

Apologies that takes you to dead link.
In IE7 you can delete all the passwords in Tools > delete browsing history. BUT it is an all or nothing option - it will remove all the passwords and you will have to re-enter those that you want to keep on the system.

Rigor mortis 01:32 26 Dec 2006

Use something like Revelation to make a note of all your passwords and then clear all your passwords and start again.
click here

Rigor mortis 01:34 26 Dec 2006

Revelation does work in XP despite the blurb on the download site.

octal 08:12 26 Dec 2006

If you use Firefox browser you can add or delete passwords at will, if you forget a password it will tell you what it is as well.

Kaz the Gas 11:10 26 Dec 2006

Thank you all for your replies. Will try out some later when I can escape back from the sales!

Kaz

Kaz the Gas 17:30 26 Dec 2006

Thanks for all the help so far.

I'm running IE6 and when I get to press "Clear Passwords", my computer hangs up and indicates the program is not responding. I notice lsass.exe is using 90% or more of system resources. Does my registry need cleaned up?

Kaz

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?