Too Many Security Programs

The Paul 11:21 14 Jul 2006

Recently I have noticed a major slow down in my PC. I have gone through all the usual actions to try and speed it up. As far as I can determine I have no virus or other such problems. I have added Ewido and Windows Defender over the last few months and this makes me wonder is there a limit to the programs you should run to try and stay safe.

I have AVG Grisoft Free version - ZoneAlarm - Windows Defender - Ewido - Ad-Aware.

Is this too much for a 3 year old machine with AMD Athlon XP 2400+ and 512 MB Memory.

Cheers - Paul

Batch 11:41 14 Jul 2006

I run a 5 year old Athlon 1100Mhz with 512 Mb, XP SP2, AVG + ZA. Absolutely no probs.

Also run full scans with Ad-aware, Panda Active Scan and Spyaudit periodically - of course these hit the machine whilst they are running, as does AVG during its daily full scan.

spuds 12:31 14 Jul 2006

Having a discussion with a computer shop technician recently, he stated that "having to many" antis on your computer can cause more problems than help to heal or solve them.

His recommendation was possibly ZoneAlarm, AVG or Avast, then Microsoft Defender and that's about all.

Personally, I am a glutton, when it comes to well recommended free 'anti' downloads :O).

The Paul 12:43 14 Jul 2006

2 schools of thought. I just felt it coincidental that the system slowed down badly as I added another anti.

Perhaps some antis dont like different software applications or something like that.

The Paul 16:58 14 Jul 2006

is there any way of telling if some anti programs conflict with other anti programs.

ade.h 17:49 14 Jul 2006

Ewido and Ad-Aware only have active scanning if you pay for them, so you probably only have two active scanners plus your firewall. With your spec, that ought to be fine I would think.

Pineman100 18:03 14 Jul 2006

Probably very obvious, but have you tried doing a bit of a spring clean? First update, then run a full system scan with AVG, Ewido and Ad-Aware.

Now go to Start>Control Panel>Performance and Maintenance. Run "Free Up Space of your Hard Disk", then "Rearrange items on your Hard Disk to Make Programs Run Faster" (ie: defrag).

It may not make a huge difference, but it might help.

freaky 18:45 14 Jul 2006

I have 2 PC's - the oldest one has a AMD Athlon 1400 plus 1024 MB of RAM. Plus AVG and Kerio Firewall. Also Spybot,SpywareBlaster, Ad-Aware and Windows Defender. I have had no problems with it slowing down.

Possible causes for your PC: -

a)Only 512 MB Ram.
b)As said by The Paul- do some spring cleaning.
c)Defrag - if your HD is badly fragmented then this will cause it to run slower.

freaky 18:48 14 Jul 2006

Error in above post - I should have quoted Pineman100 regarding Spring Cleaning !

Andsome 18:55 14 Jul 2006

If you have never run it befoe, you will VERY surprised at how much dross Crap Cleaner will safely remove. I run it least twice a week.

click here

The Paul 07:41 15 Jul 2006

freaky & pineman100 - The machine has had 512 MB since the day I got it built. It normally runs much much quicker than it is doing right now, although I agree it would be wise to increase the memory. Defrag is performed every week and all antis update everyday and run everyday. I'm quite a protection freak.

Andsome - I'll check it our - great name for it too I guess.

ade.h - I'd forgotten that. Why I have so many (I think its a lot) is that each program finds things that the others dont. It just makes me think that I'm better protected the more I have.

Oh - I run Stinger quite regularly too.

Cheers to all for your input.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?