too many parameters

gizzyx 15:06 13 Dec 2003

when my pc boots i get a message "too many parameters" this occursafter the message starting windows 98, and then again after
mode prepare code page function
mode select code page function
then the pc hangs for several seconds. can anyone give me a clue how to fix this. thanx

Diodorus Siculus 15:28 13 Dec 2003

click here

for a possible solution.

Often it is a problem with a line in the config.sys file which Win98 looks at when starting.

Diodorus Siculus 23:24 27 Dec 2003

Well?

Wak 10:22 28 Dec 2003

I know how you feel, Diodorus Siculus.

Gongoozler 12:47 28 Dec 2003

Hi Diodorus Siculus, it's annoying when there's no reply to advice given. However, the 'too many parameters' message with Windows 98 is one that I have resolved in the past. It happens when Diskeeper Lite is installed and is caused by an error in autoexec.bat. The line should be entered as SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AUTODE~1;"C:\Program Files\Executive Software\DiskeeperLite\", where instead it is added without the inverted commas as SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AUTODE~1;C:\Program Files\Executive Software\DiskeeperLite
The solution is to edit the file in Notepad to add the inverted commas, or to REM the whole line.

Sheila-214876 13:09 28 Dec 2003

If you can eventually get to windows delete the autoexec.bat file and config.sys file (using windows explorer, they are in the C:\ folder.) and reboot. Windows doesn't need these files but will make new ones when you reboot.

gizzyx 17:18 29 Dec 2003

Sorry about not replying sooner but i haven't been able to get online..i have fixed it now though with your help. i do value the advice of everyone who posts on this site and wish you all a happy new year. thanks again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?