Too many issues to make title meaningful but help!

Tj_El 01:13 09 Apr 2003

Trying to resolve a problem with a friends PC.

Sometimes it keeps re-booting as soon as the desktop appears and other times desktop appears with an Serious error log which I don't send because I can't.

Just a while ago it go to the desktop when all of a sudden a dialogue box appears asking to save all current work because Windows RFC had auto initiated a shutdown. There was absolutely nothing I could do.

What is it and what does it do?

Also how do I disable PCTspk? It keeps running in a DOS window when the PC does boot ok and I think the message that flashes quickly on and off again says something along the lines that there wasn't enough space or memory to load or something like that. Sorry I can't be more specific but the message literally flies on and off screen. If I could pause it maybe I'd stand a chance at reading it.

Also in BIOS what should I set the SHARED MEMORY SIZE to? It's currently 16MB. Should I increase to 64MB? Motherboard seems to have onboard modem but there's also a PCI internal modem card. Should I set BIOS for onboard modem to AUTO?

As you see quite a few issues. It's quite possible that getting the BIOS settings right might solve a few of these?

Thanks for all help.

Tj_El

crx16 01:22 09 Apr 2003

do you think giving the OS could help.

MAJ 01:56 09 Apr 2003

PCTspk, seems to be related to a PCTEL modem, Tj_El. click here to see a few possible solutions.

powerless 07:04 09 Apr 2003

Small world click here

Tj_El 11:56 10 Apr 2003

Sorry - omitted that crucial info... XP Pro.
The BIOS is AMIBIOS.

Powerless, I did see your post and you said you disabled it but how/where? I'm not a real pro in XP so I could do with a simple idiot-proof guide.... thanks

MAJ, thanks for the link. I'll see if that helps even though it appears to be for Dell computers.

Sorry about the delay in replying. Too many things going on at once over here....

powerless 19:23 10 Apr 2003

Go to Start and then RUN...

Copy and paste or type:

MSCONFIG

Then click "ok"

Then click on STARTUP then remove the tick from PCTSPK...

Click ok and restart box shoud be gone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?