Tones on startup( repeat)

ray27 15:28 27 Jun 2003

Intel Pentium 2.8 OS Windows XP Home Asus P4S8X Motherboard

I thought I had cracked this one but the tones are now back.
This time they are two beeps that go something like da daa on boot up.
They are very quiete beebs and you can only just hear them , or is it me going deaf?
Is this normal?(not me going deaf I mean)
My bios are Award, so system information informs me.
Is there a way of seeing if your system is functioning correctly, such as are the memory modules OK?
Cheers Ray

woodchip 15:33 27 Jun 2003

There Should only be one beep. If you have more than one stick of memory take out one and try it you must leave one in the first memory bank

Djohn 15:41 27 Jun 2003

Below is printout from "Beep codes" page. Hope it is of some help. j.click here

=======================================

2 Beeps,Your computer has memory problems. First, check video. If video is working, you'll see an error message. If not, you have a parity error in your first 64K of memory. Check your SIMMs. Reseat them and reboot. If this doesn't do it, the memory chips may be bad. You can try switching the first and second banks memory chips. First banks are the memory banks in which your CPU finds its first 64K of base memory. You'll need to consult your manual to see which bank is first. If all of your memory tests good, you probably need to buy another motherboard.

ray27 16:12 27 Jun 2003

I have checked and there is only one stick of memory the other two are empty.
When I booted up this time there was only one beep.
As I said before I have tried everything DVD CD-RW and everything seems to work OK except that I use MSN messenger to talk to one of my grandchildren and it was ok yesterday but now it tells me that he is not on line and I dont appear to be on line to him.
This is also true of the only other contact that I have (sad isn't it)
Do you reckon I should get in touch with Mesh about this ?
I wished I hadn't ,asked ignorance can be a blessing sometimes

-pops- 16:14 27 Jun 2003

Ensure that your one memory stick is firmly embedded in its socket.

Brian

-pops- 16:15 27 Jun 2003

You might wish to make Mesh aware of the problem as well - you know the procedure by now;-))

woodchip 18:37 27 Jun 2003

Get some switch cleaner from a electronics shop and spray the memory socket with the power lead removed from the wall socket and push the memory in a couple of times then see how it goes

ray27 22:50 27 Jun 2003

I would do this usualy but as I have been having problems with this system from day one and it is only 4 months old I don't want to tamper with it as you can bet your life that Mesh will use that as an excuse to get out of the on site cover
I am trying to contact Mesh to see what they say but I havn't had much luck up to now.
I have e-mailed them at the support site and am awaiting their reply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?