Tmproxy.exe and IExplorer lock-up

Gardenleaver 14:01 09 Jan 2008

Hi All

I'm running Internet Explorer 7 under Windows XP.

When some websites are visited, I get a 'Tmproxy.exe - memory could not be read' error. IExplorer then ceases to respond and on terminating it via CTRL+ALT+DEL I lose my internet connection and then need to reboot my PC.

Some other web sites also cause IExplorer to freeze, but no Tmproxy.exe error is reported and on forcing IExplorer to terminate, I do not lose my internet connection.

Any ideas folks?

Many thanks.

VoG II 14:10 09 Jan 2008

It is your anti-virus program click here

VoG II 14:13 09 Jan 2008

In fact coupled with your other issue click here I think you've caught a nasty. I suffest that you run a-squared click here and SuperAntiSpyware Free click here

Technotiger 14:18 09 Jan 2008

Hi VoG™ yeah I agree, I reckon that is a definite!

Gardenleaver 19:15 10 Jan 2008

Thannks for the swift response guys. Nice one.

In addition to my weekly full virus check using Trend PC-Cillin 2007, I've now run, using latest virus/spy patterns and repairing where appropriate:

- CCleaner
- UniBlue SpyEraser
- Uniblue Registry Booster
- a-Squared Free (Deep check)
- SuperAntiSpyware Free (Complete check, although this program hangs when checking a specific file within the System Volume Information)

- I've also run Uniblue SpeedUpMyPC3

None of the above identified any major infections, but various routine cleans have been done.

The 'Check what's running on my PC' feature in SuperAntiSpyware doesn't identify any non-standard program.

- No 'phantom emails' have been sent yet
- When I try to access one of the sites that previously brought the Tmproxy.exe memory error, this still occurs. (click here)
- When I temporarily turn off Trend and visit this same site, the problem does not occur.

Any further advice on how the Tmproxy error can be resolved folks? What kind of 'nasty' does it indicate?

Cheers!

Gardenleaver 19:20 10 Jan 2008

Note - the link to an example 'problem' site above should be click here , which is a UK council web site. (I posted the wrong url above.)

skidzy 19:28 10 Jan 2008

If possible while offline,uninstall Trend PC-Cillin 2007 and reinstall.

If it has its own uninstaller,use that.

Then we can see if it happens again,then we can look a bit deeper.

Does Superantispyware report anything ?
Also run your anti apps in safemode.

birdface 21:11 10 Jan 2008

Like skidzy says.Uninstall it using the removal tool.click here Then run C Cleaner then reinstal it.

Gardenleaver 23:18 10 Jan 2008

Yes, uninstall and reinstall was the way to solve it. Simple as that.

Many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?