Tiscali disconnection!!!

cowgirl66 08:56 25 Feb 2007

My friend reinstalled XP yesterday and all went well until it came to setting up the network connection and Outlook Express. The internet would keep disconnecting after only a few minutes, and always when opening Outlook Express (version6)

He is using Comodo firewall so could that be anything to do with it?

The tiscali broadband connection settings have been reset over and over but it makes no difference. I have also tried retyping username and password each time before logging on.

Please help as it's driving me mad!!!

cowgirl66 09:00 25 Feb 2007

have just removed comodo firewall and it's still happening...

cowgirl66 09:00 25 Feb 2007

sorry, i meant comodo antispam...

cowgirl66 09:15 25 Feb 2007

I'm sorry if I'm confusing you but here is what's happening now. I'll try to be plain about it!

A scenario. You connect to broadband and go to view webpages. All is fine. Then you decide you want to check emails. So you shut the webpage you were looking at and open Outlook Express. Immediately the blue tv screens disappear from system tray and a little window comes up saying, "You are working offline. Do you wish to connect?" Or something like that. You click on the Connect button and go into Outlook Express.

Great.

Well, not really, because when you close Outlook Express and go back to Internet Explorer the page won't show because under Tools (Internet Explorer 7, by the way) Work Offline has had a tick put beside it.

alB 09:29 25 Feb 2007

It could be that by closing the web page you are auto disconnecting the service, just open OE as well as the web page and see what happens ...alB

cowgirl66 09:39 25 Feb 2007

thanks alB, will get back to you later as I have to go out right now. I will try your advice and see what happens.

cowgirl66

Stuartli 10:02 25 Feb 2007

Try going to Start>Settings>Control Panel>Internet Options (or via IE's Tools>Internet Options)>Connections tab> and Enabling Dial whenever a Network Connection is Not Present.

Alternatively it may work with Always Dial My Default Connection.

cowgirl66 21:11 05 Mar 2007

Well thank you all for your advice. It seems the matter has now been resolved although what the user did to modify the settings and correct them in the process is a mystery; even he is unaware of what he pressed on!.

At least now it's sorted but I'm afraid I can't tell you how or why.

Regards cowgirl66

terryf 21:20 05 Mar 2007

I had a problem like this when OE would go offline when I was online, solved it by going to IE>Tools>Internet options>connections>Lan settings and ticked 'Automatically detect settings'. This problem seemed to come on after I installed IE7 and since I ticked that setting have had no problems with OE

bswatts 13:09 18 Jun 2007

Am writing this on a laptop, as my desktop will not send e mails or connect to the Internet.
Have been to PC World and they can't help. Tried everything without success.
Any help greatly appreciated.

w

Stuartli 13:14 18 Jun 2007

After more thought, the most likely reason for the disconnection is that Outlook Express has been configured to Hang Up after Sending/Receiving Messages i.e. terminate the connection.

This is a throwback to the era of dialup to minimise phone call charges.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone