tiscali disconnecting me

wilbar 13:24 01 Mar 2005

when i am on-line with tiscali, and i go into outlook express to read my mail, it disconnects immediately and i have to re-connect.any suggestions as to what is wrong would be appreciated.

FelixTCat 13:47 01 Mar 2005

Check the options in Outlook Express. One option is to disconnect after checking for mail. Untick that and you will be OK

Stuartli 13:51 01 Mar 2005

Re FelixTCat's tip: It's on the Send/Receive panel and is often checked inadvertently.

wilbar 14:13 01 Mar 2005

thanks guys for quick response.this sounded promising, but i checked, and the box is not ticked. I have also now discovered that it disconnects me as soon as I go into the send/receive panel...it has only done this since i changed from the evenings/weekend package (with Tiscali/BT) to the 24 hour free access package (Tiscali only).... maybe this is relevant?

FelixTCat 14:27 01 Mar 2005

When you changed, were you given any different details, log-ons, passwords, etc?

If so, did you change them in Outlook Express also?

It may think you're still on the old settings.

wilbar 14:39 01 Mar 2005

Thanks Felix. I didn't change my user name or password, and everything works except for this.
I am going out now so will give up for now, thanks in meantime.

FelixTCat 17:09 01 Mar 2005

Check in Control Panel - Internet Options - Connections. You should probably have "Dial whenever a network connection is not present" ticked.

However, if you prefer, tick the "Never dial a connection" box. You will get a warning box if you are not connected. The only drawback is that you will have to remember to terminate your connection when you have finished. Make sure that you have a default time-out to save a huge phone bill.

Stuartli 17:51 01 Mar 2005

OE shares IE connection settings configuration.

FelixTCat 18:08 01 Mar 2005

Yes, it does.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

14 best picture books for children

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017