Tiscali / BT problem

Bike-it 15:46 28 Dec 2007

I have been having problems with my broadband speed for about five weeks i am paying for up to 8mb but am only getting around 0.7mb, So Tiscali got a BT engineer to call at my house and check the line and the set up, but he claimed the all was ok and the problem was with Tiscali, so today a Tiscali guy rang me to say that there is a lot of congestion on the line and this problem has to be sorted by BT.
So how do i believe, and who has to sort this problem for me.

Technotiger 15:51 28 Dec 2007

Nearly all broadband providers say *up to 8Mb* but that does not mean a thing. I am also with BT, they are also my ISP, and mine is *up to 8Mb* also - I am lucky if I get 1.90Mb at best. It depends a lot on your actually physical location and your distance from/to the BT Exchange, also depends on the physical state of your line and even weather conditions to a certain extent.

rawprawn 16:06 28 Dec 2007

I had continual problems speed with Tiscali, and complained about only getting about 1MB on my up to 8MG broadband (it started at between 3 and 4MB but fell away to 1MB)Eventually I asked for a migration number. They reduced my rental by £3 a month, and the speed went back up to between 3 and 4MB.
I felt that I had been cheated, so I moved to BT. I now get between 3MB and 7MB depending on how busy things are. I am very happy that I moved, but disappointed that Tiscali had not helped in the first instance.
It may be worth a try asking for a migration number,and telling them why. You don't have to use it!

Bike-it 16:34 28 Dec 2007

Cheers.
if i ask for my MAC number will they not ask me when they should switch off their broadband supply to me.

Technotiger 16:39 28 Dec 2007

No, they will not ask you, nor will they switch you off. They will do everything they can to 'keep' you on their books.

rawprawn 16:42 28 Dec 2007

No, you have to activate it with your new ISP. If it isn't activated within 30 Days (I'm sure thats right, anyway they will tell you)It lapses and you stay with your current supplier "ie" tiscali

Technotiger 16:50 28 Dec 2007

30 days is correct.

rawprawn 17:29 28 Dec 2007

Thank you, I live only 200m from the village exchange

johnnyrocker 17:34 28 Dec 2007

it is not affected by physical distance from the exchange it is the length/route taken by the cable from exchange to your house.

johnny

Technotiger 17:48 28 Dec 2007

physical distance

Exactly what I meant, just a different way of saying it!

Press Man 18:10 28 Dec 2007

Bike-it,

I had no end of issues with Tiscali, in the end I switched to ADSL24 (up to 8Mb). I have been with them for around 4 months and i am happy with the service. I have the 30Gb a month (off peak) download service which I find more than enough. Have just done a speed check and it was 4.6Mb, lowest I have recorded is 1.4Mb. I am approximately 1.5M (as the crow flies) from the exchange. If your issues persist, and I was you, I would switch to another provider. Have a look on DSL ZoneUK for guidance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?