Tiscali Broadband Speeds

Hullite 21:59 26 Oct 2005

Am I alone when it comes to slow broadband speeds with Tiscali. I have had a problem with them for quite a while now and find there service to be very poor. I would be interested in anybody out there with similar problems or any problems with this ISP provider.
Thank You

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:00 26 Oct 2005

Rockets along at 2megs for me. Always excellent service.

G

VoG II 22:02 26 Oct 2005
  knobler 22:03 26 Oct 2005

Yeah, to agree with Gandalf, my 1Mb does cruise along nicely - are you very far from an exchange or do your neighbours have problems with their broadband speeds?

Jackcoms 22:10 26 Oct 2005

Yawn. Yet another "let's knock Tiscali" thread?

They are one of the world's largest ISPs, so must be doing something right.

I have no complaints.

Slow BB speeds are invariably to do with high contention ratios, old telephone lines, (long) distances from your exchange or PCs clogged up with crap - NOT the ISP.

knobler 22:13 26 Oct 2005

now now - he only asked - we're not all experts - me included - that's why we have a helproom isn't it??

Jackcoms 22:20 26 Oct 2005

I provided help in the form of advice - read my final paragraph.

i.tech 22:21 26 Oct 2005

I have just cancelled my tiscali account but that was down to there customer service and the fact that they kept failing to take the DD and presenting me with 3 months worth of charges at once.

i.tech 22:21 26 Oct 2005

I also had a slow connection however this could be caused by a number of factors. Goto:
click here and conduct a speed test. If it's slower than it should be you maybe too far from an exchange, using a low grade extension cable which doesn't cope with ADSL signals very well or have a faulty filter. If your using a software modem (which both the sagem and speedtouch provided by tiscali are) you may have low system recources, software modems share the work with your pc - goto start>run> type msconfig and select the startup tab - are there alot of items in here, try unchecking some non-critical ones. If all else is fine call their tech support and ask them to do a check on your line, there maybe a fault that is slowing down your speed even though you may be able to make voice calls without any problem - voice calls run at around 9k.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?