Tiscali broadband speed

jezz200 14:57 14 Dec 2005

Hi to every one.
just joined and hope some one can help??.
i am on tiscali broadband (512)and was informed by tiscali that i would get an upgrade to 1mb,that was over a year ago...still on 512.
when i rang there help line i was just told its my BT line thats the prob.
i only live 1 mile from the exchange and my daughter who lives out of town gets 2mb(she is on bt broadband).
had line check by bt and was told its my isp that the prob.....just keep going round in circles.
anyone got any ideas.
thanks for any help you can give.
jezz

The Kestrel 15:16 14 Dec 2005

Having checked with BT that your telephone line is capable of 1Mb broadband, it is now down to your ISP to investigate further. If they fail or refuse to investigate further, you should have the right to cancel your contract with them. I suggest you speak to the local CAB to find out your rights in this dispute.

jezz200 15:24 14 Dec 2005

Hi thanks for your reply.
i have been with tiscali well over a year...so should be no prob to cancel.....they just dont seem interested

The Kestrel 15:32 14 Dec 2005

I have been with Pipex for over a year now, and like you started at 512K. Pipex upgraded free, kept me informed of progress and the upgrade took place when they said it would. On the couple of times I have had to use their helpline, they have been excellent with their response, on one occasions talking me through the solution to my problem, as I carried out their instructions on my PC. I you do decide to change, I fully recommend Pipex.

jezz200 15:37 14 Dec 2005

just done a basic line check with pipex....and they tell me i should get 2mb......think this is the end for tiscali.....thanks kestrel

rawprawn 16:08 14 Dec 2005

I had a similar problem with Tiscali, I too was on 512 and was promised 1mb. It dragged on for ages with them blaming BT (I only live about 200 yards from the village new exchange) However they did eventually get me to 1mb and I think that it was BT being very slow to implement the upgrade, so don't lose heart.I now get 1mb for £14.99 per month. Having said all that the connection speeds this last week or so have been appalling and if you search the forum you will find a number of complaints.
I am going to stay with it as I think it is about the best value I can get for that price.

Stuartli 16:41 14 Dec 2005

Tiscali has been voted the Worst ISP of the Week and merely Worst ISP on one well known ISP reviews website.

My view is that it's probably even worst than that(!), but the company just doesn't seem to care too much about losing a few of its subscribers.

Probably got too big too quickly.

I only live 580 yards from my exchange and was getting up to 2.4MB for around six months until the infamous Tiscali "service enhancements" - now many a time my former DayTime Plus dialup service seems, on reflection, to have been quicker....:-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?