Tiscali Broadband at 56 kb speeds

PaulB2005 14:09 04 Nov 2005

Packard Bell iMedia 4605

Windows Me

Thompson Speedtouch 330 ADSL Modem

Tiscali 1 Mb broadband.

Managed to get this installed but it's running like the 56 kb connection it replaced. Text downloads quickly then you have to wait for the pictures.

Downloads keep timing out - small AVG update (~500 kb) took 20 minutes to complete. 1 Mb download was estimated as going to take 35 minutes! Various broadband speed tests fail to complete.

Tiscali say nothing wrong at the their end.

What could it be? All settings checked against Tiscali website and i can't see anything wrong.

PaulB2005 14:10 04 Nov 2005

whilst it is a 1 Mb connection the system tray icon states "Connected at 2,2xx,xxx kbps" which i take to be 2.2 Mb?

Stuartli 15:13 04 Nov 2005

The 2.2MB is the maximum speed available on your line - it's 2.3MB in my area.

pipedream 16:23 04 Nov 2005

Did you have their 'Accelerator' installed when using their dial-up service? Try uninstalling this as it could be interfering with broadband.

PaulB2005 16:28 04 Nov 2005

No. It was Wanadoo PAYG before.

alB 16:39 04 Nov 2005

You aren't alone with speed problems from Tiscali, click here ...alB

Daveboy 18:38 04 Nov 2005

You probably have a datastream circuit, Tiscali only pay a around £10 wholesale for a 2 meg circuit, so they use it on most data circiuts and "choke" you down to your 1 meg (or whatever you are paying for). If you have an IPstream what you see is what you get.

PaulB2005 20:03 04 Nov 2005

So how does that explain the 56-like connection speeds?

"Downloads keep timing out - small AVG update (~500 kb) took 20 minutes to complete. 1 Mb download was estimated as going to take 35 minutes! Various broadband speed tests fail to complete."

PaulB2005 07:47 11 Nov 2005

Been back into Tiscali. After a long drawn out phone call where they INSISTED on going over everything again and again including their SpeedTest website which never shows a result even after 10 minutes" "We must finish the test to see what speeds you ARE getting" she kept saying. Well on my 2 Mb connection the test completes in under 5 seconds. They don't seem to be able to realise that 10 minutes is a wee bit excessive for a 1 Mb connection and insisted we hang on.

Eventually i hung up after she said she was going to "Test the line" from there end. Previous attempts have proved nothing is wrong.

If the owner wants the connection cancelled to try another provided what is her next move? Is it easy? Can we request a cancellation on the basis that the connection is unfit?

Chegs ® 08:21 11 Nov 2005

click here

Just phone the 0845 077 4488 and request the MAC.If they insist on a 12mth contract,state they've breached the terms there end,so why shouldn't you migrate.

PaulB2005 08:23 11 Nov 2005

Cheers. I'm going to try the Tiscali forums - they're having problems this morning *sigh* first and if no joy we'll get cancelling.

Thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?