Tips on how to use / try Ubuntu

SB23 19:26 11 Feb 2008

Well, I'll be honest and say that curiosity has got the better of me.
I downloaded the Ubuntu iso installer and burnt it to cd, after checking it was complete, I booted from it.
All I can say is that I'm impressed and it looks brilliant. Its not that I'm moving to it from Xp, but I had to see what it was like.

One thing though, is the question about drivers for my current setup. How do other users manage, and what did they have to change?

When I booted from the cd, my printer was dead, my ADSL modem was dead, and I was just wondering how people get around all the things that no longer work.

If there are answers, I would consider using it more, but that really depends on drivers available, or not, as the case maybe.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Steve

LastChip 21:22 11 Feb 2008

As far as Internet access is concerned, a Linux computer will be more happy connecting via an ADSL/router. That gets rid of all the ADSL/Modem problems at a stroke. These days, it's not a huge outlay either.

With regards to your printer, click here for a page I wrote specifically for an Epson R200, but other printers are supported in exactly the same way and I happily print to a Samsung Laser and the R200, without any hassle.

I would encourage you to take a look around our site, as there are other pages devoted to the Linux "newbie" that you may find useful and will give you a better insight into how Linux works. There is also some more advanced stuff on there, but try not to get bogged down with that. It's more for the advanced user and not really necessary to start with.

SB23 23:17 11 Feb 2008

Thanks for that.

Me thinks alot of further reading is in order, but as I really like the look of Ubuntu, I shall just have to be patient.

another to consider,recognised internet connection straight away.
click here

DieSse 02:03 12 Feb 2008

"I downloaded the Ubuntu iso"

Which version?

Try the v8.04 alpha4 "Hardy Heron". For such an early release it's very good indeed.

8.04 found my router and worked on the net, and my HP 940c printer, without me having to do a single thing. No drivers, nada - they just work. As does the monitor, and in the correct resolution right away.

SB23 12:33 12 Feb 2008

I've got version 7.10.

I can see no mention of the version you downloaded. My Hp all in one doesn't want to know with V7.10.

DieSse 16:04 12 Feb 2008

Hardy Heron 8.04 alpha4 click here

Procrastinus 16:24 12 Feb 2008

I have been using 7.04 Fiesty Fawn for some months now and had a hard time initially. Go to the Absolute beginners section of Ubuntu Forums click here and declare yourself as an newbie and you will find some very helpful people there. You may well have to download some extra files as the initial distribution does not come complete with 'all the bells and whistles'. But all can be found in Synaptic Download Manager. It is worth working at it!

SB23 17:35 12 Feb 2008

Thanks for the link.
I assume I can do what I did before, but can I run it from the cd, as I'm not quite ready to install yet?
I'm still having a nose, as they say, lol.

DieSse 23:38 12 Feb 2008

"can I run it from the cd"

Yes, it's a live CD just like the previous one you have tried.

SB23 23:51 12 Feb 2008

Thanks.

After Aol freezing all day, I found the page with all the info, just hadn't got round to saying I'd found it.
I've now got the alpha iso files, will write to cd tomorrow.
Going to turn off now, well, before Aol does it for me.

Back tomorrow,

Steve

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone