TIP: For Irfan View

Pesala 21:33 11 Aug 2003

I have just discovered that Irfan View click here has lots of command line options. Look at options.txt in the program's directory for full details.

Examples for Hiding Toolbar etc. Values can be combined (add values)

Toolbar 1 • Status bar 2 • Menu bar 4
• Caption 8

For example, I find hinding the status bar with the following shortcut target useful:

"C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" /hide=2

To hide both the status bar and the caption you would use:

"C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" /hide=10

Pesala 09:17 01 Sep 2003

No doubt lots of people don't know all the features of this great program. There are millions of users worldwide. Does anyone know of a website for Irfan View users? Not much on the home site.

Audeal 10:34 01 Sep 2003

There is quite a lot of information in the "Help" Files.

Pesala 10:45 01 Sep 2003

Seriously, though, it would take a lot of patience to read all that small print. It is OK when you know what to look for, but it is not much fun to read.

When people use the program on a daily basis they find all kinds of solutions for real-world tasks. There are so many features of Irfan View that I bet most of them remain hidden from the average user.

A lot of the questions on this site could be solved if people read help files, or did a Google search, but they often don't know what to look for, or where to find the information they want. Sometimes, of course, they are just plain lazy.

It is quicker to ask a question on a forum, or look at a short compilation of Tips and Tricks.

heres another tip (before we get into arguments about help files) How many of you use the 'Irfanview Shell Extension'( click here and look to the bottom of the page) When installed it will add an irfanview layer to the right click context menu which gives you the option to convert images directly into any format that Irfanview can handle without having to open the application itself which can save alot of time. the Format list can be customised to exclude all those formats thats most of us do not use. i hope you'll find it useful, i wouldnt be without it.

PS check out the Van Der Lee Unplugged filters for the filter factory click here

alcudia 12:39 01 Sep 2003

Thanks for that link. Been using Irfanview for years and had no idea this existed.
Thanks again

Pesala 13:16 01 Sep 2003

This is more of an Opera Tip than an Irfan View tip, but one can customise the right-click menu in Opera to open files in Irfan View straight off of a web page click here

From Irfan View Properties, Misc2, one can configure the file menu to open the current file in another program. Irfan View is powerful, but it is not a full-blown photo-editor. With this feature, one can configure it to open files in your photo-editing package.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?