A timely warning

mikef. 17:43 04 Oct 2005

For all those setting up a wireless network, I was lazy and couldn't bother to use a password with my Belkin ADSL/Router and had my networked hijacked at the weekend, with the hijacker putting in a there own password so locking me out, so don't be foolish and put a password in or if it comes with a default password change it to something new.

I now have a Netgear router that allows you to specify what is allowed to connect wirelessly, so if you have that option use it as well.

Chegs ® 21:11 04 Oct 2005

See the thread "Is it legal" A suggestion from FE,all WiFi hardware should have (at least)a note within stating the likely pitfalls of leaving a network open,or Default passwords,etc sounds perfect to me.

igk 20:45 05 Oct 2005

I hope you have gone through your pc/s to check if anything has been put on it/them also if you keep private passwords/pin no's on it/them you should get them changed asap..

mikef. 22:55 05 Oct 2005

Everything else is locked up pretty well, I was just foolish and left that available, and luckily I spotted it pretty quickly and switched off the router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017