Time/date resetting

algernonymous 13:49 02 Oct 2006

The date and time on this PC keep resetting to 00:00 01-01-01 almost every time it is shutdown. I've checked the cmos battery and it's fine (3v) so what else might it be?

Gongoozler 14:03 02 Oct 2006

Try starting you computer in Safe Mode and shutting it down a few times. If the clock doesn't reset itself then it looks like a program that loads at start-up is causing the problem.

It is also worth pointing out that a voltmeter test on an unloaded battery isn't conclusive. With effectively zero current drain even an exhausted battery can read almost full volts. A new battery is quite cheap and is probably available at your local supermarket.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:39 02 Oct 2006

Agree change Cmos battery

algernonymous 20:05 23 Apr 2007

Well, I saved up my pennies, walked to the store, purchased a new battery, fitted it a few days ago and all was fine until today, when I switched it on and the bloomin' clock had gone back again...???

Gongoozler 21:17 24 Apr 2007

There is the possibility that the new battery is faulty, but it is also quite possible that the motherboard has a fault. Maybe you need to save a lot more pennies :-(

anniesboy 08:20 25 Apr 2007

Have you put the battery in with polarity correct,I ask because in my machine in the info in the manual was wrong.
There may be + marking where the battery goes

algernonymous 14:31 25 Apr 2007

Ok, thanks, will check polarity.
Just another point, it now just seems to be erratic- last night it had gone forward approx. 8hours(early hours of 25th), at lunchtime today it read 06.21am this morning???

phono 14:51 25 Apr 2007

Could be a faulty crystal or even CMOS chip.

Also check for any short between the motherboard battery holder and case, I seem to remember a similar scenario to yours some time ago which was caused by such a short as settings were retained when the motherboard was powered up out of the case.

From memory the solution was a layer of insulation or insulated washers placed between the mobo and case fixing points.

phono 15:13 25 Apr 2007

I managed to locate the thread I mentioned in my last post about the short at click here

If you check near the bottom you will see that in that particular case there was a short between the CMOS battery +ve terminal and the case, obviously any check you make would have to be done with all power removed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?