timed startup for win2k?

jake williamson 09:43 11 Mar 2004

i've been playing with the windows schedular trying to set my machine to start up before i get to work and run norton anti virus.

i can seem to find a 'start up windows at this time' setting anyware - or a 'shut down windows at this time'...

is this built into windows or should i look at a 3rd party utility?

thanks out there,

jake

Diodorus Siculus 20:59 11 Mar 2004

Third party utility will be necessary to the best of my knowledge and would be interested in hearing what you come up with.

temp003 02:36 12 Mar 2004

As far as I know, you can only wake a computer up to run a task, from standby or hibernation, but not from a complete shutdown. You may be aware of this option already, but it's not what you want. If so, skip the next paragraph.

After you add a task in Scheduled Tasks, tick the box for opening Advanced options. When you click Finish, the Advanced options will open, select the Settings tab, and tick the box for "wake computer to run this task". OK. Then if your computer is on standby or hibernation, computer will start up at the scheduled time to run the task. You can also access the Settings tab by simply double clicking the relevant icon created in Scheduled Tasks.

To schedule a shutdown (or other shutdown related options), for w2k you can use Budja's shutdown utility: shutdown.exe. click here The file is a command line utility and need to be run with the correct parameter (different parameters for shutdown proper, restart, standby, hibernate etc). There's an instructions page explaining the parameters on the link above (which also comes with the download).

Download the shutdown.exe file, put it somewhere on your computer. You can follow the instructions to create desktop shortcuts for various shutdown options.

To schedule a shutdown related action, open Scheduled Tasks in Control Panel, but instead of using the wizard, just right click an empty part of the window, New, Scheduled Task, and give it a name instead of the default "New Task" (it's just like creating a new folder in Explorer). Then double click it to open the Task tab. In the Run box, browse to or type the path to the shutdown.exe file. Then add the parameter at the end (e.g. C:\WINNT\system32\shutdown.exe -s). Add the scheduled times as needed. click OK and enter password.

You can schedule the computer to go into standby or hibernation daily in the evening (or do it manually by creating shortcuts on the desktop), and schedule any task to run daily in the morning, then the computer is ready for you when you get in - as long as you don't mind using standby or hibernation.

temp003 02:41 12 Mar 2004

Forgot to say, if you choose to use hibernation, remember to enable hibernate support in Power Options.

If you choose to use standby, in Power Options untick the box for prompt for password when computer goes out of standby (I don't know whether it's really necessary, because when you schedule a task, you enter the username and password, you can try).

temp003 02:57 12 Mar 2004

Have just tried scheduling a standby and then schedule an NAV scan to wake computer up, but keeping the option to "prompt for password when computer goes out of standby" in Power Options.

After I entered the password to go into Windows, the scan was already some way into it. So the task was already running before I entered password to log on.

So for security reasons, keep the box ticked. It doesn't affect the running of the task.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires