Time to upgrade my video card?

Barrie_G 18:07 28 Feb 2006

I was just wondering weather it's time to upgrade my ageing TI4200 (64mb) with something a little newer?

brief system specs are 2.56P4, 1024mb pc2700 ram unfortunately my mobo only has 4x agp, its the MSI 845PE Max.

I would be looking to spend about £100 on a new card, would I notice much of a increase in performance from this?

I've tried looking around on the web for performance figures which include the ti4200 against the other newer cards but haven't been able to find any and I've not been keeping up with advancements in the computing world so any help will be gratefully received

Pamy 20:10 28 Feb 2006

I would think you have answered your own question when you say your motherboard only supports 4X AGP

Barrie_G 18:34 01 Mar 2006

So, excuse the blonde moment, are you saying that it's not worth upgrading the graphics card without upgrading the mobo?

Pamy 18:41 01 Mar 2006

That would be my thoughts,but I'm only a women so what would I realy know about it. Last time I looked at Graphics cards they were 8X AGP so cannot see any benifit even getting best 4X's.
Keep thread open and bump to the top and then
see what the others have to say

Barrie_G 20:00 01 Mar 2006

It's just that I haven't been keeping up with technology for a few years so I really don't know much about what's what at the minute but thanks for confirming what I had felt would be the answer.

But I'll leave it open as you suggest and see if anything else is suggested.

Pamy 20:21 01 Mar 2006

Your computer spec seams quite good(better than mine,and many other members). As long as it does what you demand of it i would not waste money on it. If, on the otherhand it does not, then you are probably looking at a new one.

Cybermaxx 21:00 01 Mar 2006

Well, after looking at the ATI site, it appears that the X700, X800, X850, and X1600 only support AGP 8X. The best ATI cards that support AGP 4X are the 9800 Pro and XT, either of which would still be a canny upgrade from that Ti4200, but aren't the best AGP cards available.

Not sure about the nVidia cards yet. Doing some "research" into them now! Hang tight!

Cybermaxx 21:16 01 Mar 2006

Hmmm, now I'm been told that any AGP card should work with a 4X slot........ I don't know enough about this. Good luck!

User-312386 08:25 02 Mar 2006

you can use an 8x card in a 4x mobo, although the card will obly work at 4x speed

click here for a good graphics card that will give you all the speed you will need

keef66 17:05 02 Mar 2006

I have a similar dilemma on a slightly lower spec pc than yours, so I have asked these questions in this forum and elsewhere. To save you the trouble, here's what you need to know:

The real life speed difference between AGP 4x and AGP 8x is only about 10%, so don't worry about that. Any AGP 8x card should run on your mobo.
I'd suggest an Nvidia 6600gt, or an ATI X1600pro which can be had for around £100 now. You'd notice a significant improvement, plus you get Pixel shader 3 support for the latest games.
if you're not bothered about Pixel shader 3, consider the ATI X800GTO which is a beast of a mid range card and very competitively priced at the moment.
Whatever you go for, just make sure your power supply is up to the job (decent 350w?) and it has a spare molex connector to plug into the graphics card.

You'd be wasting money spending more than that on an AGP card cos the rest of the system would bottleneck it.

Your next upgrade would then involve a new PCI-express mobo and graphics card, and possibly faster memory. Or a new pc.

Good luck

Keef

keef66 17:10 02 Mar 2006

Oh, and don't be persuaded that 256 mb ram is required for this level of card; 128 is adequate. (unless of course the 256mb card is the same price as the 128mb equivalent, in which case it would be rude not to buy it)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?