time /supanet

Eddie 2425 20:06 09 Feb 2004

got a friend who just bought a new computer from time problem is he can only set up on the net with supanet, his modem is configured only to access supanet, how can he change the modem settings to allow access to ntl who is his preffered choice. thanks

lucky1 20:26 09 Feb 2004

Suggest you do a search. There have been previous threads on this subject both here and in the Consumer Watch forum recently.

Regards

Eddie 2425 20:29 09 Feb 2004

thanks lucky where do i search as i am sure that you are aware search is a vast ammount of info where do i start

spikeychris 20:43 09 Feb 2004

OK Eddie, bit of a problem. The modem is locked to Supanet and thats all there is to it. Or is it, the fact that Time can lock a modem means they have control of who you use as your ISP, IE: Supanet, not a bad ISP but it would be nice to have the choice would it not.

Now then you can try this..and be SURE to post back with the results...

From any PC connected to the internet: - Go to click here - Read the page, and click the "Agree" button - Read the instructions on the next page. Use the information there to identify and download the correct generic driver for the Time modem. Burn the modem to disk.

Take the new driver to the Time PC and install it. Then on the Time PC: - Right click My Computer icon on the desktop, select Properties, select Hardware, click the Device Manager button. - Find the modem in the listing, right click the entry, and select uninstall. Confirm the action in the resulting box. - Reboot the PC. - On reboot, the PC finds the 'new' hardware, and asks if you want to install it; say yes, and tell the Wizard where to find the driver you downloaded. - That's it. The modem now shows as a Generic, as opposed to saying it's a CNXT Vx PCI.

You *should*..be aware its not a guarantee be able to connect to another ISP.

sidecar sid 22:47 09 Feb 2004

Contact Ian at time

click here

His post and e-mail address are at the bottom of this thread and he will arrange to have a standard modem sent to you free of charge.

woodchip 22:50 09 Feb 2004

If he just want's Dial-Up create a new account

woodchip 22:51 09 Feb 2004

PS it's windows that's configured not the Modem to use an ISP

spikeychris 10:32 10 Feb 2004

Not this one Woody

Eddie 2425 13:56 10 Feb 2004

thanks guys he is already with ntl and wanted to stay with them but it would not let him create another dial up account unless with supanet he is now going for broadband got a 3 week wait but is so annoyed no net for 3 weeks and he wont sign up with supanet out of principle, so people out there be aware its not even in the small print!!

spikeychris 14:19 10 Feb 2004

Have you read my post?

Eddie 2425 15:51 10 Feb 2004

thanks spikeychris have passed on your response to my friend and will respond here when i find out what he does

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?