Time for a reformat?

Rossi#1 19:29 04 Sep 2006

I do like to try new stuff out.Problem is that means uninstalling too.Now Ive got a new ISP Mcafee stopped working because I couldnt reregister.Ive now got Zonealarm and avast but also every time I shutdown the system freezes on the "Windows is shutting down" screen.
Ive ran CCleaner and scanned for naughties and even posted an HJT on the shadowboard at MWR but Im wondereing if Ive got too much crap left and its affecting the PC.

STREETWORK 19:35 04 Sep 2006

Post your system Spec's

STREETWORK 19:36 04 Sep 2006

Also,

Visit Microsofts website and search the knowledge base for 'shut down errors'

Rossi#1 19:38 04 Sep 2006

Compaq Presario 1619
160GB
1GB RAM
AMD Athlon 64 3200
Nvidia 7300GS

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:44 04 Sep 2006

Repair XP

OPTION 1 - Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

Shutdown problems
click here
click here
click here

Rossi#1 20:00 04 Sep 2006

Maybe I should try shutting down ZA and Avast before shutting down too? It started when I installed them but its not something that happens every time.1 time out of 3.

Rossi#1 20:56 04 Sep 2006

Just ran scannow but it did it again.

I am wondering about this new modem now.Its a crappy little Speedtouch thing that came with an attached USB cable and no option for an RJ45 connection.

I wanted to use my BT Voyager 205 but the Router Manager was part of the BT package which I uninstalled and every time I try to reinstall it says Im 75% complete even though Ive scoured my system for BT and Yahoo.

Anyone have an idea how I can fully configure the 205 without the Manager?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?