Time To Reboot?

bassist69 11:17 30 Aug 2006

need some advice people. My PC is full of so much rubbish that everytime i get on the Internet i get flooded with loads of pop ups and the the PC in general runs incredibly slow and internet explorer gives up after a couple of minutes and I have to open up a new window. I think its time to get the PC back to the beginning so I want to reboot. I am running windows XP - I have never rebooted a computer - has anybody got any tips on how to do it?

thanks

VoG II 11:21 30 Aug 2006

Reboot means restarting your computer. I presume you mean reinstall Windows click here

bassist69 11:25 30 Aug 2006

thanks for that - what do i have to the PC to get back to the start to reinstall windows XP?

VoG II 11:26 30 Aug 2006

See the link I posted above.

bassist69 11:29 30 Aug 2006

good stuff, should i have been given a windows XP cd? i dont think i have one - do i have to buy a copy of Windows XP ?

anskyber 11:30 30 Aug 2006

Before you do had you thought of following advice here? click here

bassist69 11:36 30 Aug 2006

no but i will try that out

cheers

xania 15:47 30 Aug 2006

When you got the PC, you shoul dhave been given either a reinstall CD or a copy of the entire system in a hidden partition on your HD. Read the manual you got with the PC - it should tell you how to recover to the installation as provided when you first bought the PC. Failing that, try pressing (normally its F9) one of the function keys (but not F1, F6 or F8) as the PC is ending its POST.

You will lose everything on your hard disk (so make sure all your important data files are backed up first - also your emails, favourites etc).

Good luck.

bassist69 15:52 30 Aug 2006

sorry but what is POST?

xania 15:54 30 Aug 2006

This is when the PC ests itself before installing the Operating System. You should hear a single beep to indicate that POST has been successful, although this depends on the BIOS you motherboard has installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone