Time for a new PC, or ?? - long post - apols

PCA reader 19:55 29 Mar 2008

Some advice please.

I am about to replace my 6 yr old desktop (Athlon 1600+, 0.5gb mem, sound card, ATI graphics) running XP pro with something more up to date (Dual core 6750, 2gb mem, average/value graphics and sound card, still on XP pro).

I don't think I need a new LCD as my IBM 9494 19inch with DVI interconnect screen seems fine.

As you can gather, I am not a gamer but do enjoy photo work alongside the normal XL/Word/ppt/Outlook activities.

The m/c resides in a 16x9 study with desk, settee and old CRT TV. The room is not occupied other than when I or member of family wants to use the PC or watch TV.

I am thinking of purchasing a 26 or 32 TV LCD at the same time as upgrading the PC but am concerned that I am missing a trick with regards to integrating these functions or at least the screen part.
I've read about of media centres but am concerned that they are trying to be all things to all men and failing.

So, should I go 'separates' or go for 'convergance'?

John

Any input to help spend wisely would be gratefully received.
Is it feasible to and toying with

kjrider 20:02 29 Mar 2008

Your system seems OK to me. If it is OK for you, I would keep it, or if you replace it, keep it as well as your new one. Your old one might go a bit better with a bit more ram.

Having had Vista for 4 months I am distinctly underwhelmed. If you get a 26 or 32 LCD TV you should be able to plug into it without any hassle.

I have not bothered with a media centre - if I want to watch DVDs etc, I turn on the TV with my separate DVD recorder/player.
Have fun

KJR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?