Time for a new mouse?

edenworkshops 14:09 17 Dec 2011

Hello

In the last couple of days my USB marble mouse cursor has frozen at odd intervals. The mouse is over 9 years old, is it time for a new mouse or could it be something else?

If something else I would be grateful for your suggestions.

Thank you.

Richard

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:30 17 Dec 2011

IS it just the cursor freezing or the whole PC?

try updating mouse drivers

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest http://www.memtest86.com/

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

edenworkshops 14:45 17 Dec 2011

It is just the mouse freezing.

One thing though, The day before yesteday, same time as the mouse started freezing, I plugged in some christmas lights into the same extension that flash on and off...any connection do you think?

When the mouse freezes, if I unplug the usb connection and plug it back in, the mouse cursor is ok again.

Thank you

Richard

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:58 17 Dec 2011

I wouldn't plug anything else into an extension I had my PC on (Power supply units can be fickle) so I would unplug the lights and see if it freezes after that.

USB systems can get overload with Ghost devices that can cause problems. In device manager - view menu - click show hidden devices - it worth uninstalling all the devices that are shown as hidden. windows will reinstall next time you plug them in.

edenworkshops 15:14 17 Dec 2011

In device manager I looked under USB controlers, and clicked "view hidden devices", not quite knowing what to look for, I made a note of what devices showed up when viewing hidden devices, and then clicked nack to normal view.

The results were the same, so apparanetly no ghost devices.

One thing was very obvious when in "view hidden devices".

A new icon appeared named "Non Pug And Play Drivers".

When I clicked the icon, a large number of "sub icons" showed up, most with names and abbreviations which meant nothing to me.

Not a complete newbie but my ignorance is vast, does this new icon and all its drivers relate to the mouse issue in any way?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Richard

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:54 17 Dec 2011

Click on the + to expand each item hidden devices are shown lighter than the normal ones.

Often there are many hidden items for things like usb memory sticks and external drives, printers etc. (especially things that are plugged into and out of USB sockets.

robin_x 15:58 17 Dec 2011

I hope the lights got unplugged while doing all this.

Ho Ho Ho!

edenworkshops 18:26 17 Dec 2011

Hello again fruitbat, you have aided me in the past.

I presume it is USB devices we are talking about?

When I select "view hidden devices" there are no "lighter" devices highlighted, they are all in black.

Lots of lighter devices within the "Non Plug And Play Drivers" icon.

Richard

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:53 17 Dec 2011

try uninstalling them

edenworkshops 20:21 17 Dec 2011

What, all of the drivers under "Non Plug And Play Drivers" ?

Scares the ** out of me to do that.

Richard

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?