Time for my PC to go back to factory default ?

alanp119 21:52 19 Feb 2003

I'm fed up with my PC taking an age to fire up and to shut down. So many files floating around from not very successful uninstalls.
I thought of saving the few files I really need, noting all passwords, and finding all my drivers--then use my packard bell system discs to go back to the state it was from the factory.

A good idea......or A BAD ONE??

he he :-) 21:55 19 Feb 2003

hmmmm...

cream. 22:05 19 Feb 2003

alanp119

What operating system do you have and how long has it been running since the last install?

They are a lot of things you can do to clean it up or make it faster, without a format.

powerless 22:07 19 Feb 2003

Yeah its a good idea, every computer needs that...

Just remeber any updates etc you will ned to download again...

fred 22:13 19 Feb 2003

I found it more efficient to format C and then install windows only followed by my software. This, of course, involved buying an operating system but consider it cheap at the price.

This saved many MB of space and had the major benifit of only having the software I wanted on the machine. Recovery discs inevitably install a great deal of, mostly unwanted, software.

alanp119 22:21 19 Feb 2003

I run windows 98, I have never reloaded it.Should I have? would it install the missing files that my word and Realplayer look for on start up?
My computer is 4yo and I feel programs are running in the background and causing the pc not to close properly.I have only used 4GB of the 6.4GB available...ram is 64. If it's not too much hassel I would happily go back to scratch

cream. 22:32 19 Feb 2003

alanp119

If you have been running it for 4 years, then you have done well.

It probably is ready for a fresh start.

Also consider increasing your ram, 64mb. is fine. With ram prices so low for an extra +/- £15 you could add another 128mb. This would give your computer extra zip.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?