Time For a Major Upgrade

FireOfBlue 21:37 21 Nov 2007

Hi everyone,

my current specs. are these:

Nzxt Lexa case, Hiper580 (Blue) PSU, AMD64 3700 CPU, 2GB Crucial 3200 RAM, Gigabyte Radeon 9800 Pro (256 mb), Samsung 19 inch SM191T and a dvd reader and dvd reader/writer, JBL Creatures speakers, Win XP Home.

As you can imagine my whole rig is a little tired and the graphics card is showing its age to say the least but has been the best bit of PC kit I ever invested in.

I'm about to buy the following - I'm on a budget (absoloute maximum) of £650.00.

click here

click here

click here

click here

(and a £6 floppy drive)

This comes to £654.00 with Saturday delivery.

I am keeping the Operating System, case, power supply, DVD drives, speakers and monitor, and have skimped on the hard drive.

I would be grateful for any comments or suggestions as to this spec. Am
itching to press the go to check out button, but thought some expert advice might be helpful.

Cheers

Fire 8)

citadel 21:51 21 Nov 2007

It all looks great.

Crash 23:03 21 Nov 2007

You could sell the parts you take out of the pc and get a better hard drive as well? All the rest sounds good to me!

Migwell 00:05 22 Nov 2007

You could save £6.00 by not having a new floppy drive. If you have an old one and must have one installed use that.

I took mine out six month ago as it was not being used and had not been used in the year before that. I just stuck it up in the loft with all the other gear that I have torn out of my computer when I have up graded. I have then re made computers from the old stuff to loan out when friends have had bother with theirs, better than having none to use in the mean time while they get a repair done.

You must be a gamer by the spec you list above, it should go like S**t off a shovel when you get it going. I don't play games and never have done. I use mine for Photographic work and find mine is fast enough. I just use an Asus A7N8X with Amd 2800 1 Gig 2700 DDR memory Also a R9250 128 ADT grafix card.

Good luck with your spend and your (NEW) computer.
Regards Migwell

DieSse 00:09 22 Nov 2007

"As you can imagine my whole rig is a little tired"

I can't really see anything tired about your setup. It's far in excess of my system, which continues to serve me very well.

If you can be a bit more specific about what it can't do that you would like it to do, then I might feel able to comment.

DieSse 00:11 22 Nov 2007

"As you can imagine my whole rig is a little tired"

I can't really see anything tired about your setup. It's far in excess of my system, which continues to serve me very well.

If you can be a bit more specific about what it can't do that you would like it to do, then I might feel able to comment.

FireOfBlue 01:13 24 Nov 2007

Thanks for the feedback everyone - sorry for the delay in responding but ironically enough my graphics card died after my last post and have only just got a temp. replacement.

I thought about selling the bits out of this PC - but would only get about £50 - £80 for them - according to what is available on ebay - I saw a whole system with a better graphics card and an installed legit/ copy of win xp for £120!

I wouldn't have bought a floppy drive - not having used one for 5 or so years - but sometimes you need a floppy disc when installing a sata hard drive - which is the only reason I bought one.

When I said my system is tired - I meant for my purposes - i.e. gaming - the Graphics card cost me about £400 - but that was around 4 years ago and there have been several generations of cards since then - the card (9800 pro) that just died was great but could not play any future or just out games. As for the processor - you can buy one the same for £35 on ebuyer and 2gb of faster ram for £40 on overclockers.co.uk - hardly a high end sysem any more!

Anyway I bought the new set up which arrives in the morning - have my shovel ready!

Chhers for the comments

Fire :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?