Time laptop will not turn on after crash

CLONNEN 17:39 03 Aug 2008

My Time laptop suffered a crash and I had to hold the power button down for 10 secs to turn it off manually as Ctrl-Alt-DEl wouldn't work. When I turned it back on it got as far as the Windows desktop and then threw up a blue screen - again I had to hold down the power button to turn it off. Only this time when I turned it back on the orange Battery Charging light came on but the green power light wouldn't come on. So now I can't boot the laptop at all.

I tried unplugging the power cable from the plug socket and putting it back in again and also at the computer DC jack end but I still cannot get the laptop to boot.

Is the power cable at fault or is it the battery inside the laptop? We have been having trouble for the last few months with the battery - it won't boot the laptop and doesn't seem to charge properly. We always use the mains power cable instead. My brother seems to think the battery has died and that the mains cable won't work without a working battery inside the laptop. Is he right?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:56 03 Aug 2008

Remove battery and try booting from mains only.

shorted battery will drag down the power supply.

CLONNEN 18:07 03 Aug 2008

Have removed battery and replugged in mains cable but no lights come on at all.

Have just tried connecting an energy meter to the plug socket to tell if cable is actually drawing power and it says 240V and 0.04 amps.

woodchip 18:14 03 Aug 2008

Have you tested the end that the DC comes out to the Laptop? Center Pos Outer Neg

woodchip 18:15 03 Aug 2008

Round about 12 to 20 DC volts should be there

CLONNEN 18:23 03 Aug 2008

The meter I have only plugs into a 3-pin UK socket don't have anything for testing other end.

CLONNEN 18:29 03 Aug 2008

Hang on - my 7 yr old sister has just come into the room and has had a go at turning on the laptop and she's done it.

She says she held down the Power button and the F5 button.

Apparently she has done it before at her school with one of their laptops.

woodchip 18:34 03 Aug 2008

F5 is safe Mode

CLONNEN 20:07 03 Aug 2008

Laptop has gone off again but this time she fixed it with Power Button + F1

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Photo Editing Apps for iPad

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comment regarder le combat entre McGregor et Mayweather ?