Thunderflies in monitor

Harnser 12:50 17 Jul 2007

My new TFT screen has 4 insects in it. I turned it off last night but this morning they are still there and presumably deceased!

I've got more in there today. It doesn't seem to have been very well sealed and if I keep on collecting dead bodies it will drive me mad

I have had it less than a month. Is this usual and do you think it would be grounds for return?

Many thanks

Stuartli 12:58 17 Jul 2007

I doubt if there are grounds for return.

I had a similar thing with my Ashai Pentax Spotmatic SLR which I acquired in July 1966.

One day, whilst looking through the viewfinder, I noticed a small bug on the mirror or in the prism.

It survived to fascinate me for many months before disappearing.

Probabilitydrive 13:03 17 Jul 2007

The obvious 'fly-on-the-wall' documentary joke....
but no.

I trust its an CRT model in which case flies cant have insects in it, as Cathode ray tube contains a vacuum.

Can you specify where exactly these flies are??

Harnser 13:08 17 Jul 2007

;-)

A few more have joined the party! They are literally inside and on the face of it crawling over the inside back of the monitor rather than on the inside of the screen itself if that makes sense?

Stuartli 13:21 17 Jul 2007

I get the odd one on my 21in CRT screen in the evenings as I normally have a window open and leave the main room light off - I just brush them off with a cleaning cloth.

If you have plants in the room they may initially be attracted by them; we had an infestation of very small flies last year on the living room plants and it took two or three days of spraying to get rid of them.

PalaeoBill 15:36 17 Jul 2007

I imagine the insects are between the perspex outer screen of the monitor frame and the TFT assembly behind it. They are not normally sealed and so I doubt it is grounds for a return. Opening the monitor frame to clean it will probably invalidate any warrant though so it is a Catch-22. Perhaps the FE can offer his professional opinion on your options.

six-h 16:02 17 Jul 2007

Glad to see that the current batch of affected people are receiving sympathy at least!
My experience last year was met with disbelief and the helpful suggestion to "stroke it gently with a hammer."
I still have two corpses in view which must be as dry as crisps now, I think I'll try a can of compressed air, and in future soak around the air vents with insecticide!
I did complain to the manufacturer, and was told that this did not constitute a "malfunction" therefore was not covered by any warranty.

Harnser 16:27 17 Jul 2007

Thanks for that - I was afraid you would all say that. I have a dead pixel right in the centre of the screen and I can live with that but these little gits are horrendously annoying! I'll get a can of air and try one of those insecticide pens to draw round any obvious access points!

Cheers everybody!

tullie 17:07 17 Jul 2007

Wear a pair of socks for a week then leave them near the monitor.The insects will smell the socks and crawl out,ive tried this with my wife,hung them near monitor,she left the room.

Diemmess 17:37 17 Jul 2007

Loads of info via Google mostly describing these tiny flies as a horticulural nuisance but not dire.

TFTs are another matter. This is war!

My own 5 year old 17" has never been graced with any physical protection from the outside world.
Although at present the thunderbugs are all over the place they can't become trapped on a clean flat surface.

A month ago I saw an Apple Mac 17" monitor which had a dozen or so round the border but fortunately only one or two intruding onto the screen.
There was no way to clear them easily, the design followed its box in having lots of an upmarket silver resin case, with even more lavish coverings of clear acrylic embellishing that.

The only way to clear the things would involve separating the actual TFT bit from its outer transparent shield.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone