Thunderbird and Ubuntu Linux

shellship 14:49 20 Jan 2008

We are trying to set up email with my wife's new Asus EE which had TBird installed as the email software. If we choose POP as the connection then the incoming server address (tiscali)is rejected. If we choose IMAP then we can complete the wizard but "cannot find server" appears. I suspect it is a Linux thing that I do not know enough about. Anyone else got any thoughts please.

shellship 15:13 20 Jan 2008

Tried POP and got through wizard without error message until the end when I am told "cannot connect to server pop3.tiscali.co.uk" and "cannot find click here"

bretsky 15:15 20 Jan 2008

Not too sure, but I think you have to have an agreement/arrangement with your ISP to set up a IMAP account because unlike a pop account, IMAP emails still remain on the server after downloading them to your PC and you have to manually delete them.

click here

As to the POP error maybe a typo error some where along the line in the account settings boxes.

bretsky ;0)

shellship 15:15 20 Jan 2008

Oops. Should have been "cannot find click here". Don't know how dial-up got there!

shellship 15:28 20 Jan 2008

Sorry. It was en-us.click here

bretsky 15:46 20 Jan 2008

Anti-virus/Firewall settings maybe.

bretsky ;0)

SouthernComfort 15:47 20 Jan 2008

I run Thunderbird on Ubuntu & Mint and download from Tiscali,except mine is a lineone account.

What is the port setting ? ( 110 on mine )
Bob

shellship 19:30 20 Jan 2008

Thanks, but 110 is what she has got. She tried to send message to me but it did not recognise my input server - smtp.enta.net

octal 19:41 20 Jan 2008

If you server is Tiscali the smtp for outgoing messages it should be smtp.tiscali.co.uk

shellship 21:58 20 Jan 2008

Our BB is with Entanet so the outgoing is smtpout.enta.net. Because we wanted to keep our old email addresses her input is pop.tiscali.co.uk.

octal 21:59 20 Jan 2008

Fair enough, it wasn't clear in your earlier postings, sorry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?