Thunderbird settings lost

Glen 12:19 16 Mar 2008

I use Mozilla Thunderbird as my email browser (with Win 98SE), with two addresses. I seem to have lost all my settings, my entire extensive address book, and all my saved emails in there various sub-folders. On opening the program I get the message quote “Sending the username did not succeed. Mail server 127.0.0.1 responded. Cannot connect to POP server mail.waitrose.com (255.255.255.255.110) gethostbyname error 11001” unquote.
If I “OK” the error message I can proceed, giving a password (which I did not need to do before). I looks like I am starting out from the beginning again. How can I revert to my previous state.
Glen

dms05 15:31 16 Mar 2008

Mail server 127.0.0.1 is in fact your own computer. The email client can't seem to resolve the POP server IP address which suggests it may be a DNS problem. Have you checked your DNS settings? Can't remember how to do that in W98SE.

octal 16:52 16 Mar 2008

Usually you get that message when you've used an anti virus program and remove it, the anti virus program loops the email through the local address to check for any virus. try reinstalling the email settings.

As for the lost addresses, have a look in the Thunderbird profile folder, this should be the location for Windows 98:

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\

The address books are named as "abook.mab" and "history.mab" these can be moved and saved to a new profile folder if you reinstall Thunderbird.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?