Thunderbird requires pass word after clean install

bumpkin 16:19 01 Feb 2015
Answered

Me again, trying to set things up and running after clean install. I downloaded Thunderbird to use for my Email but it asks for the password for [email protected] What does it require and how do I find it or set one. Win7.

alanrwood 16:43 01 Feb 2015

It is asking for your login password to your TalkTalk email account which you probably set a long time ago. Always best to keep a note of these passwords.

bumpkin 17:40 01 Feb 2015

That is the password I tried and it said log in to imap server failed enter new password.

robin_x 18:54 01 Feb 2015

Thunderbird is arsey with me somtetimes over passwords, and always has been.

I even set a Master Password, but it still does it.

Re-try (for each of multiple logins) often works when details are correct.

But check you can login on the TT site with e-mail address (not username) and password.

click here

Check Thunderbird Tools > Options > Security > Passwords is correct. Delete any duplicate entries.

bumpkin 20:50 01 Feb 2015

I have reset the password via another pc as I can get no Email. Works fine on that one and I can access the TT site and log in to my account. On this one it is asking for imap when I have smtp to my knowledge.

bumpkin 21:33 01 Feb 2015

Ok, so can someone guide me to a decent email server that does not require the ins and outs of a cows bum before refusing to work anyway.

AroundAgain 22:15 01 Feb 2015
Answer

Hi Bumkin

I've just seen this thread. I have Thunderbird with IMAP and have previously used TalkTalk

Firstly, I would suggest checking the settings. This site may help you with checking - IMAP settings for TalkTalk

Secondly, may I suggest that, once you've checked all your settings etc, that you go to Tools -> Options -> Security (tab) -> Saved Passwords. Click on 'Remove All' (lower left of window). Then, close window. Yes, sounds drastic. Then restart Thunderbird, it will ask for your password, enter it, ensure a tick in the 'Remember Password' box and see if that has sorted your problem.

If this hasn't sorted your problem, then maybe try the TalkTalk forum - TalkTalk Forums

Another forum is the MozillaZine Forums. There are many experienced and knowledgeable folks on there willing to help.

I really do hope you solve this. As said previously, Thunderbird is a brilliant email client which can be customised to suit your individual needs.

I'll be interested to hear your progress ;)

Best of luck. I recommend sticking with this one! :)

bumpkin 23:08 01 Feb 2015

AroundAgain, thanks for your suggestion which I will try, as I said it is a new install so currently ploughing through the 171 updates that it requires so do not wish to interfere with it now. I am posting this from a different PC.

alanrwood 10:11 02 Feb 2015

You almost certainly have not set up T/B correctly. On the account settings you can select either a pop3 or IMAC server. Try setting them manually in Tools/Account Settings as sometimes the T/B automatic recognition will get it wrong and select IMAP instead of pop3. Also be careful what you set for the port and authentication settings.

bumpkin 11:03 02 Feb 2015

I did the obvious thing in the end and copied the settings from the PC that was working:-)

Thanks to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone