Thunderbird loading made faster?

micklemouse 19:07 22 Jan 2005

Am I mistaken or did I recently see in here someone asking how to speed up the loading of Thunderbird from the desktop? Only I would like to make mine quicker too

micklemouse 10:18 23 Jan 2005

had anyone noticed me please?

Stuartli 10:35 23 Jan 2005

Thunderbird loads up very quickly just from Quick Launch.

Just a tip for anyone who sets Thunderbird to check for messages every x or xx minutes - if you are offline and TB is open, it goes online automatically to do so. Best to disable the feature if you don't want or require it.

Could be a nuisance for those who, like me, have dialup and originally missed the occasional anticipated voice call as a result. I'd enabled it as it had been used successfully with OE.

LeadingMNMs 10:39 23 Jan 2005

There was an extension that allows both Firefox and Thunderbird to be minimised to the system tray, although this extension does not appear on the offical mozilla sites.

I did try the extension but it required a .dll file to be installed and it didn't work for me. Though I'm sure if I'd tried a little longer it would have worked.

LeadingMNMs 10:40 23 Jan 2005

This was the link provided click here

micklemouse 13:13 23 Jan 2005

I guess I must have dreamt it but I seem to remember the advice was to right click on icon, go to Properties and type 'prefetch1' on the end of the Target.

I do click on the quick launch but that is slow too. Maybe my computer is just slow.

Regards Micklemouse

Stuartli 17:53 23 Jan 2005

Prefetch is part of the Windows operating system in which it tries to preload programs before you are ready to use them....:-)

Try this tip to clean out Prefetch and speed it up again:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?