Thunderbird. To increase pop3 timeout

Gusto 20:08 28 Jul 2008

PC Advisor, June 2005, page 176 advises how to increase pop3 timeout. "Click on Tools, Extensions, locate the "about config" extension to Thunderbird, etc.
Problem. There is no "Extension" under "Tools". I did find "about config" via Firefox but no help towards installing it in Thunderbird. Has Thunderbird changed since 05? Has anyone had recent success with this?
thanks

Gusto 19:49 29 Jul 2008

Thank you Marg7. I have failed. Tools/Options/Advanced ok but no "Network & Disc Space".
I downloaded "about config" from your " click here". Unfortunately "Tools" does not contain "Add-ons". Do I have a faulty Thunderbird?
Gusto

Gusto 21:41 04 Aug 2008

Thanks Marg 7. I installed Thunderbird 2.0.0.16 - very good, it left my data intact without asking me if I wished to overwrite or clean-install. Tools/Add-0ns is now present and I called up About Config but got the message "About Config could not be installed because it is not compatible with Thunderbird 2.0.0.16, (About Config 0.16 will only work with Thunderbird versions from 0.8 to 1.4)."
I went back to Mozilla to make sure I had the latest version but Mozilla says that About Config 0.6 is the latest and works with Thunderbird 0.8 to 2.0.0.* Should I wait for Mozilla to make a new issue ?

bretsky 22:24 04 Aug 2008

Ummm, I am I missing something here, I have T/Bird version 2.0.0.16 and my About Config can be brought up going to Tools>Options>general tab-advanced configuration-clicking the config editor button to the right, opens the about config window.

bretsky ;0)

bretsky 15:10 05 Aug 2008

Yes indeed, just wondering why Gusto needs to change the timeout what problems does Gusto have?

bretsky ;0)

Gusto 21:17 07 Aug 2008

Thanks again Marg 7. I followed your method via Tools/Network & Disc Space (which didn't work until I re-installed Thunderbird). No problem and all is now well.
Thanks also to bretsky. I needed help because I was continuously getting a time-out message. I now suspect that the fault was simply due to a corrupt Thunderbird.

bretsky 22:34 07 Aug 2008

Glad you sorted it out.

bretsky ;0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?