Thunderbird demands a password

Glen 10:12 22 Feb 2009

I have Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0.0.16 installed but am unable to use it, as it demands a password. The message reads "enter your password for (my name is given here) on POP3.mypostoffice.co.uk". The broadband part of the address is correct. No passwork I have tried will get me in. Windows Mail does not require a password, and when I was on dialp-up I never needed one. What can I do?
Glen

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:33 22 Feb 2009

try going into IE options if your dialup setting is still there then rest the username and password there and then retry Thunderbird.

cruiser2 15:57 22 Feb 2009

Glen,You are not the only one with this problem. I have recently had my computer serviced as viruses had got past the security system.
Have asked for help with my ISP and Mozilla but am still waiting for a reply.
Am with Talktalk and have Windows XP

cocteau48 16:41 22 Feb 2009

You could try deleting any accounts which you have set up in T'bird and then set a new account up ,not by manually entering the details,but by using T'birds facility under the Tools/Import menu to import the settings from Outlook Express.

Sea Urchin 16:54 22 Feb 2009

"Windows Mail does not require a password, and when I was on dial-up-up I never needed one"

Not correct - all email programs require a password to access them - otherwise anybody could use your email account. It's just that most people set up their account and then ask Thunderbird (or whatever) to remember the password - and then they possibly forget it themselves.

Delete your account and then set it up again putting in the password you arranged with your ISP. Or follow cocteau48's advice and import them via Tools/Import/Settings

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?