Thunderbird

Astrid 17:31 25 Oct 2008

I run Windows XP SP3, and use Thunderbird for email. A few hours ago I left the room and when I returned and went to access my email, everything, all folders and months of mail had disappeared. I had to configure all over again and start from scratch with no folders. I know that somewhere on my hard disk are the folders and the mails, but can't recall where. Also, is there any good reason why I should trust Thunderbird not to do this again any time? Has anyone had this happen, either in the past or recently?

DieSse 17:52 25 Oct 2008

I've been using Thunderbird for around two years now (at least) - and it's always behaved perfectly for me.

Mail should be in

C:\Documents and Settings\*****\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\gl8pw2ic.default\Mail\Local Folders

where g18pw2ic will be different for you and ***** will be your windows account name

The Kestrel 20:48 25 Oct 2008

I too have used Thunderbird for around two years without any problems. I much prefer it to Outlook/Outlook Express.

PalaeoBill 21:05 25 Oct 2008

Me too. I've been a happy Thunderbird user for a couple of years or so. I switched because of corruption problems in Outlook.
I have no idea what occurred but I strongly encourage you to install MozBackup
click here
and use it regularly. It will save your mail, folders, account details and even plugins.

PalaeoBill 21:10 25 Oct 2008

Just to add. I have not had cause to restore from a MozBackup, but I have restored onto a clean PC just to prove to myself that the backup worked. It did, account settings, passwords and all.

bretsky 09:16 26 Oct 2008

I too have used this email client for years and only had one occasion where all my emails in the sent folder strangely disappeared, I found that this click here cured the problem.

Use MozBackup to do regular backups to my other HDD, updates seamlessly, excellent calender extn, a very good solid program.

bretsky ;0)

Astrid 09:27 26 Oct 2008

Thank you, all - I've downloaded MozBackup and will compact folders regularly from now on - also have located the folders in Windows Explorer, though sadly I can't restore them into my present Thunderbird programme, or can I?

The Kestrel 10:41 26 Oct 2008

I don't know whether it is possible to transfer the folders from Internet Explorer to Thunderbird using the import option in Thunderbird under the Tools tab. Perhaps someone with more experience than I will be able to advise you.

bretsky 11:01 26 Oct 2008

Not sure when you say "I had to configure all over again and start from scratch with no folders"

These folders in Windows explorer you found are in your profile folder which when you reinstall the Tbird program (for any reason)your profile folder is left untouched so all messages should be there inside these folders, eg Inbox, sent etc etc.

Have you tried deleting all files with the .msf file extn? these files hold NO MESSAGES so it's safe to do this, so when this has been done and you fire up Tbird again the program will automatically rebuild the .msf files that make each folder and message appear in Tbird.

I understand if you have lots of sub folders like I have, this can be very tedious and time consuming but it will pay off.

If unsure about this please read my link (in previous reply)further.

bretsky ;0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?