Thunderbird 3 password problem.

The Kestrel 14:06 24 Dec 2009

Since upgrading from TB2 to TB3 this morning on both mine and my wife's PCs we both can receive emails, but not send or reply to emails. I keep getting asked for a password, but when I enter my usual password it just keeps requesting the password again. I have tried resetting the master password as suggested in another thread but I was not given the option of entering a password and the problem still persists. Can anyone help it is driving me mad.

ambra4 14:34 24 Dec 2009

Are you using the correct password?

The password that thunderbird is asking for, is your ISP password that you used to

connect to there site when you first set up your Internet Access

cocteau48 15:00 24 Dec 2009

Two other avenues that may be worth exploring if ambra4's solution does not work.

1. Re-import your account details from Outlook Express (where I would assume that you still have fully working accounts.

2. Revert to TB2 (and if that works correctly) - save your profile using Mozbackup click here - reinstall TB3 and use Mozbackup to restore your previously saved profile.

The Kestrel 15:04 24 Dec 2009

Thanks ambra 4. It was not the password that was the problem. Eventually after trial and error, I found that during upgrade to TB3, the outgoing server settings had been modified. The box for 'use secure authentication' had become ticked. Once the tick was removed all went back to normal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?