Thunder storm and PC not running

skippers 12:59 30 Jan 2010

While I was away there was a thunder storm and now my PC won't turn on. What can you suggest I do?

Many thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:29 30 Jan 2010

1. Give us a little more information

- Any signs of life e.g. fans start leds lit sounds from hard drive?

2. if none of above then most likely is PSU (power supply unit) cheapest option to replace - - but it is possible the motherboard or cpu is also dead.

Graphicool1 14:04 30 Jan 2010

Firstly, do you use a 'Power Surge Protector'? If the answer is YES, then it is unlikely that your problem is anything to do with the thunder storm. If on the other hand your answer is NO then as Fruit Bat /\0/\ said it's possibly your PSU (Power Supply Unit) or Mobo (Motherboard)

Were you getting any problems before the storm?

skippers 15:35 30 Jan 2010

No signs of life at all and no power surge protector. This happened a long time ago but as far as I remember there were no problems before. The computer has just been sitting around doing nothing for the last couple of years.
How much would a power supply unit, motherboard or cpu cost? Because the computer is old I need to weigh up if it is worth fixing.

Thanks

Technotiger 15:44 30 Jan 2010

Try changing the CMOS battery, then see if there is any signs of life - well, you never know!

GaT7 15:48 30 Jan 2010

skippers, what is the spec of the PC? Do you remember?

If you don't know, can you open the case & tell us the make & model of the motherboard at least? With this info we can tell you what motherboard, CPU & PSU would be suitable. Even if the parts are outdated & no longer available in the shops, there's always eBay (that's if you don't mind buying from there).

Graphicool1, a surge protector really offers little to no resistance to damage from lightning in a thunderstorm. An uninterruptible power supply (UPS) yes, to some extent. G

sunnystaines 16:04 30 Jan 2010

know how you feel, had this myself even with a belkin surge protector fitted, motherbard,psu,cpu blew also phone went too.

i now unplug it it all.

BRYNIT 16:10 30 Jan 2010

Have you checked the fuse in the plug

Input Overload 22:29 30 Jan 2010

A surge protector is of very little use if any in a thunder storm.

skippers 18:20 31 Jan 2010

OK, I tried a different cable and no power so I don't think it's the fuse plug.

The spec is:
Advent 3316
3.06 GHz
Intel Pent 4 Proc
512MB DDR
Ge force 4 MX
80 GB

woodchip 18:25 31 Jan 2010

Not May Surge protectors are made to withstand Storms. they are only for mild surges

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone