Thumbs.db

Migwell 00:35 01 Oct 2007

All over my Pictures in each and every directory I have a file called Thumbs.db.
Question 1 What is it doing there?
Question 2 What is it used for?
Question 3 Where did it come from?
Question 4 What if anything will happen if I delete all those files?
It may not be important, but I would like to know.

Jak_1 00:39 01 Oct 2007

It's a windows system file that can be safely deleted though it uses a miniscule amount of hdd space. Your pic files will still be there and no harm will come to them by deleting the thumbs.db.

jimmybond 00:39 01 Oct 2007
  Migwell 16:56 01 Oct 2007

jimmybond

Thanks for the link and it did give the answer I was looking for

Yes I have heard of Google oddly enough, but I was looking for a more personal approach. Usually when I Google for an answer to something I normally end up with a technical answer that an Oxford don would still be puzzled with.

If any time, someone wanted an answer to any question on the P.C.A. Forum they were told just to Google it you could do away with the P.C.A Forum

FreeCell 18:05 01 Oct 2007

If you don't want these files created in the first place you can turn off the feature to create cache files for thumbnails.

In Windows Explorer ( or My Computer) select Tools - Folder Options.

Select the "View" tab and in the Files and Folders options put a tick against "Do not cache thumbnails". Click OK.

This then force Windows to create the thumbnail pictures each time rather than look in the file thumb.db in that particular folder.

FreeCell 18:46 01 Oct 2007

Sorry Migwell, make that click "Apply" then "OK" after putting tick against 'Do not cache thumbnails' option.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?