thumbnails no longer show their names in xp?

theDarkness 23:51 17 Jan 2010

in thumbnail viewing mode (for any file type whatsoever) file names are blank in xp, they have no names - only if i switched to title, icons, list or details mode, a file's name will reappear. renaming when in thumbnail view mode is also impossible. any ideas on how to fix this? thanks

GaT7 23:59 17 Jan 2010

Press & hold down the Shift key BEFORE you enter any folder with Thumbnail view. It should be back to normal. G

theDarkness 13:10 18 Jan 2010

unfortunately i seem to have lots of folders with the same issue, and holding down the shift key can make me open multiple folders at once! it does work though, and hopefully i dont have to do it again after switching off/restarting the machine

any ideas on what the main cause for this is?

thanks

theDarkness 17:18 18 Jan 2010

aha just read up on it, holding down shift in any folder in any that contain images will cause the names to appear or disappear, thanks

click here

GaT7 17:21 18 Jan 2010

That's right, it toggles between the two.

You must have inadvertently pressed the Shift key while accessing these folders. G

theDarkness 23:27 18 Jan 2010

yeah, i think so, its happened in the past. i had always put the problem down before to a bad installment of a program, thats probably tampered with windows files or needed drivers.

i know better now, hopefully ill remember it now, but this control seems fairly useless, which is probably why is doesnt seem to be in vista when i try it on the vista laptop here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone