Thumbnail images in Excel?

flick 00:58 17 May 2004

I have created a spreadsheet in Excel which lists details of a collection of pictures. I'd like to include a thumbnail image for each entry which when clicked on opens out to or links to a full page image - rather like what happens on web sites.

My best solution so far is to insert a picture which I can then expand manually, but this method makes the file very large. Or I could add an HTML link to another file with the images in, but then I don't get the thumbnail.

I need the Excel functions to analyse the other data in the spreadsheet.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

The first step is to reduce the original picture to the size, in bytes, to use as a thumbnail and save as "TN .....", I use Serif PP8 to reduce it and then export as a picture, this keeps your excel file size to a minimum.

Either rightclick the inserted photo or press Ctrl+K whilst it is selected and locate the file containing the original picture, and that is all there is to it.

flick 11:22 17 May 2004

Thanks very much Whisperer. Exactly what I was looking for. It is very heartwarming to see how much helpful advice is so promptly and freely given on this forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?