Three VGA Monitors on a Radeon 9800 Pro?

Funktion 13:37 14 Aug 2007

Hi there,

I have currently got two TFT monitors hooked up to my ageing Radeon 9800 Pro card (one direct through the VGA connector, the other running from the DVI via a DVI-VGA adapter). I have a third monitor - a matching trio - which is now available from the missus' computer as I've treated her to a laptop.

My question is this: is there any way to hook this third monitor up to the 9800 via the card's S-Video output? Are there adapters out there to convert S-Video to VGA and will the graphics card support this? You can never have enough desktop!

Cheers.

Technotiger 14:04 14 Aug 2007

S-video to VGA adapters are readily available.

click here

Not sure about the rest of your question though.

DieSse 14:04 14 Aug 2007

I'm sure there isn't - The ATI driver would need to support it, and even without looking I'm sure it won't.

However Windows does support multiple monitors - so you could always fit a second cheap PCI graphics card and attach your third monitor to that.

I'm assuming you have an older system with PCI slots, and the current 98 in an AGP slot.

Funktion 14:43 14 Aug 2007

Cheers for the link Technotiger - I had already had a quick look before I came here, but only come across VGA to S-Video adapters (i.e. wrong-way male/female connections for my needs). If anyone knows whether the 9800 Pro can support an adapter such as this (using XP Pro as an OS) could you let me know, please. The Radeon user manual seems a little ambiguous when it comes to anything more than a dual-monitor setup.

DieSse - you are correct in assuming the 9800 is in an AGP slot. I think I have an old ATI Rage PCI card gathering dust somewhere, so I'll try to dig that out later on. I assume it will be better to use an ATI card than an NVidia or suchlike in order to minimise driver conflict?

Best finish cleaning out my aquariums before I start sticking my wet hands into the insides of my PC though, eh!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?