ThreatNuker

Ex plorer 23:41 12 Oct 2006

HI anyone like to pass a comment on ThreatNuker.
I have just run the free download version and it has found just short of 1000 faults from Phishing Trojans etc.

Ex

johnnyrocker 23:43 12 Oct 2006

doubt that unless you have no updated anti spyware etc on board, in which case the machine is lucky to be working

johnny

Totally-braindead 23:50 12 Oct 2006

Is this it? click here

Its a program I've never heard of and therefore I'd take anything it says with a pillar of salt. Perhaps I am overcautious but until I knew more about it I wouldn't put it anywhere near my PC. A lot of these programs are just set up to scare you into buying them. I'm not saying that this is the case with this particular program but as I've never heard of it before I will treat it as suspect until I know better.

Ex plorer 23:54 12 Oct 2006

Yes Totally -Braindead it is I am uptodate with all IE updates and run AVG and XP firewall Plus addaware.
PC runs ok.

Totally-braindead 00:02 13 Oct 2006

I would, and do trust the results given by various programs. AdAware, Spybot, Counterspy. These are well know and tested programs. The trouble about the results you get off a new program are exactly what I said. Perhaps this program is brilliant picking up things the others missed but equally it could be a con in that it deliberatly comes up with a scan with fictitious things in it in order to make you purchase it because you think it protects you.

This may not be a new program I don't know, perhaps others have heard of it, I think it is a new program as I haven't heard of it and as such in my book at least any results it gives are suspect.

The fact that it found nearly 1000 faults is suspect at the least.

I'll watch this thread with interest to see if any others have heard of it/used it.

Belatucadrus 00:14 13 Oct 2006

While it's not listed at SpywareWarrior click here It's not yet tested by SiteAdvisor, I can't find any independent reviews and I really don't like the phrasing of their page:-

"*Nasty viruses, spyware and adware that can permanently crash your computer, requiring a complete rebuild which could cost you hundreds, possibly thousands of dollars"
Alarmist twaddle.
"*Malicious Trojan Horse programs that steal your credit card data or use your computer as a spam sending robot."
They just had to mention credit cards, yet again alarmist.
In common with johnnyrocker I have difficulty in believing it's found a thousand genuine results, it looks suspiciously like false positive marketing to me.
Just make sure you've got a good up to date Anti Virus and a real time anti spyware program like Windows Defender or SpywareTerminator click here There's no need to pay for more coverage.

Totally-braindead 00:34 17 Oct 2006

And if you receive unsolicited email from anywhere just delete it. If some company sent me an email like this using what I consider to be scare tactics I wouldn't go near them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone